My friend got rejected to adopt a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Degu_2009

Because I didn't want to argue with you. Shelters complain about being full of cats yet they refuse to let people adopt for stupid reasons. He is looking for work and he has plenty of money. It's apparent he has money because somehow he can pay rent and bills and buy food, ect....

He wants to give this cat a good home, that's all. It's not like he has bad intentions. Shelter's are full of animals they can't get rid of yet they have strict rules like this, it's very silly to me.
I wasn't being argumentative. Not adopting to someone without an income is not a stupid reason. I've lived off of savings before; the money doesn't last forever and vet bills can get quite expensive. Nova was $1000+ the first year I had her from various minor illnesses. Grim was $1000+ this year because he had a tumor that needed to be removed.

You and your friend can disagree until you're blue in the face, but that isn't going to get him the cat he wants. (Isn't that the main issue? Getting angry at the rescue isn't going to solve anything.)

I don't see what the problem is with your friend looking for work and adopting the cat when he meets the shelter's requirements. I'm assuming the cat is not in danger of being euthanized? Yes, it does stink that he had his heart set on a cat and was rejected. However, getting someone else to adopt the cat for him is an immature way to go about it. Obviously, the rescue took an interest in him as a prospective owner or they wouldn't have bothered to call him back.

If they were rude to him, that's a separate issue from why he was rejected. If the rescue is run by private funding, then your friend's lack of income is a legitimate reason not to adopt to him; a person without income is less likely to provide for the cat for the duration of her life. They are looking out for the best interest of the cat.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What happens when you have a job and adopt a cat, and then lose that job?

Odessa is very frightened in the shelter, imagine that poor kitty in there a YEAR and still scared. It's so sad.
Lots of people might give up their cat.
Though your friend is different, the shelter is concerned that he might give up Odessa if he has financial difficulties because that's what so many other people do.
Like another poster said, it isn't personal.

ETA: It would be much more traumatic for Odessa if she were adopted out and then returned. Although that could happen even if she were adopted out to a person with a job, it would be less likely.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guys - this is turning into IMO. Please keep it friendly - and remember, we don't know the whole story & were not there.

Again, as the person who checks applications - no job, even with $$ in savings - would result in being declined here. Because that $$ can go fast for other things - as a senior kitty hundreds to thousands can be required in one vet visit. Many times I have a variety of reasons for wanting to decline someone, and probably come off as "flaky" because I keep changing reasons - simply as I have many of them. I do not have to justify myself, it states on the top of the application we reserve the right to refuse any application.

It is very sad Odessa is in the shelter after a year - but I do not encourage someone else adopting her for him. IMO, that's wrong.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

His parents don't support him. He has his own money. Can't anyone learn how to read a thread? No offense. I hate having to repeat myself when people can just read my posts.
Cool it. I didn't say his parents support him. I am giving examples of things -financially based - that send up red flags to rescues and shelters. There are lots of them... declawing, lots of lost animals, not vetting animals,,, etc.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Guys - this is turning into IMO. Please keep it friendly - and remember, we don't know the whole story & were not there.

Again, as the person who checks applications - no job, even with $$ in savings - would result in being declined here. Because that $$ can go fast for other things - as a senior kitty hundreds to thousands can be required in one vet visit. Many times I have a variety of reasons for wanting to decline someone, and probably come off as "flaky" because I keep changing reasons - simply as I have many of them. I do not have to justify myself, it states on the top of the application we reserve the right to refuse any application.

It is very sad Odessa is in the shelter after a year - but I do not encourage someone else adopting her for him. IMO, that's wrong.
I think the shelter did the right thing.
He has no job, no income coming in, apparently not much in savings since $20,000 is described as a "Crazy amount"... and no transportation...
IMO this amount he has will leave his hands rather quickly. It takes quite a bit to pay all expenses, and kitty food, vet on the top of it.
Plus, with a senior kitty transportation for me is a big issue - what happens if Odessa gets really sick at night,and needs to be taken to the ER? Many times ERs are MILES aways.... is he going to take her in a bike? Can he afford an ER trip?
Pets can be cheap, but can be quite expensive too...... Lucky and Hope are very very healthy, but in about 6 months I have spent well over $1,000 in vet bills on Bugsy alone.... And this is o the TOP of the insurance I pay monthly!
So... I know your friend is hurt, but maybe he needs to consider that it is really not the best of times for him to do this. When his money ends, then what? Is he going to go to his parents house? Get a roomate? Then what happens to Odessa? The burden on him will be bigger at a moment that shouldn't be...
It seems to me that he is depressed, and needs something to cheer him up, but a pet is a serious commitment for life.
If he really really wants Odessa, or another kitty, he should fight for her the right way - getting a job, some means of income, or at least someone hwho can back him up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

It seems to me that he is depressed, and needs something to cheer him up, but a pet is a serious commitment for life.
If he really really wants Odessa, or another kitty, he should fight for her the right way - getting a job, some means of income, or at least someone hwho can back him up.
Yes, exactly. He knows of the commitment. He wants to get a job, but getting a job would be leaving Odessa alone for a while. He wanted to get Odessa settled into his home and comfortable before getting a job. He is fully capable of it, he just wanted to get a cat first before becoming employed.

He has enough money saved up to not need to work for a full year, but that isn't including Odessa. That's why he wanted to get his butt in gear once he got Odessa to look for work.

I know you guys are right, so sorry if I am sounding mean. I just know the guy personally and he is super bummed. But I told him he should have expected that.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can totally see both sides of this. It is a hard pill to swallow, being rejected. But there it is. I think that if he wants to give Odessa a home he will get a job real quick and bring her home.
It seems to be the only way to go at this point.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, he got a cat.

Not Odessa, apparently they told him that Odessa is too old to be tamed, and she isn't up for adoption anymore.

So Odessa will grow old and die in the shelter because this shelter doesn't believe in animals being put to sleep.

He got a male black and white cat named Loops, who is 8 years old. He looks very much like Odessa! Only less fat

Want to know how he got the cat? He lied. Yep. Lied. But he showed me photos of him and the cat and he is soooooooooooooo happy, which is very rare for him.

Loops will definitely give him that push he needs to get his life back into order. He said the cat is very affectionate and loves to be petted
Don't bash him for lying! He is very happy right now.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very upset her felt that he had to lie to adopt a cat. Why did he not pick another group to adopt from - or adopt privately?

Please do not condone lying to adopt a pet. Try to compare how I feel right now to how you felt when you first found out he was denied adopting Odessa.

Happy or not - he still lied. If the shelter lied to him about something - would he not be furious?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a cat at our shelter for over a year, and he didn't mind
He was the uncle kitty who took all the newbies under his paw. He would groom the kittens, discipline them if they got too rough, and snuggle with them. Odessa probably just sees it as her new home, and hopefully is being treated relatively well. If she was happily sleeping when he first turned up, then she's probably not too stressed.

I'm glad he got a cat, although lying to get one really isn't the best course of action. What's done is done though. I hope he and kitty can share many happy years together.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm very upset her felt that he had to lie to adopt a cat. Why did he not pick another group to adopt from - or adopt privately?

Please do not condone lying to adopt a pet. Try to compare how I feel right now to how you felt when you first found out he was denied adopting Odessa.

Happy or not - he still lied. If the shelter lied to him about something - would he not be furious?
The shelter DID lie to him, many times.

Who really cares about the lying in this case, now the cat has a home instead of living in a shelter. I feel happy for both him and the cat.

Being unemployed should not hinder a persons ability to adopt a cat, as long as they are not homeless or something ridiculous like that. He has a home and plenty of money right now, and he is currently looking for a job. Loops is going to make him very happy and vise versa.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We had a cat at our shelter for over a year, and he didn't mind
He was the uncle kitty who took all the newbies under his paw. He would groom the kittens, discipline them if they got too rough, and snuggle with them. Odessa probably just sees it as her new home, and hopefully is being treated relatively well. If she was happily sleeping when he first turned up, then she's probably not too stressed.

I'm glad he got a cat, although lying to get one really isn't the best course of action. What's done is done though. I hope he and kitty can share many happy years together.
They noted that Odessa is very frightened in the shelter dispite being there for a year. They will all the sudden not have Odessa up for adoption because "she is old and untameable". And they don't believe in putting her to sleep, so she will eventually die in the shelter.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You would know that people here would be against lying to adopt a cat.

The rescue was just doing what they thought was in the best interest of the cat. You may not agree, but after a year they are probably even more picky about getting her to what they feel is the perfect home as they would know her well.

Like I said - what's done is done.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

You would know that people here would be against lying to adopt a cat.

The rescue was just doing what they thought was in the best interest of the cat. You may not agree, but after a year they are probably even more picky about getting her to what they feel is the perfect home as they would know her well.

Like I said - what's done is done.
And like I said, this shelter has had many complaints...not just because people are angry about being rejected. Like REAL complaints. All he wanted to do was rescue a cat, and he was being turned down for not a good reason. 8 years old and adopted? You guys should be jumping through the roof. Most people want kittens!

You don't know him though, I know that, but I personally am very happy for him, so I can see why you guys wont really understand.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to know the follow up to this story in a year. Why? Because this person seems to be adopting a pet for the wrong reasons, at the wrong time - thus the need to lie. I just hope this kitty is not going to end up back in a shelter, and that he DOES understand the extent of this commitment.

I am sorry, you are right... I don't know him... and I can't judge him, but something seems odd here... he tried 3 times... it took him lying to get a kitty? not only that, but an old one... IMO evidently there is something amiss... Reading the whole thread made me nervous.... I don't know... This kid doesn't sound stable IMHHO...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And like I said, this shelter has had many complaints...not just because people are angry about being rejected. Like REAL complaints. All he wanted to do was rescue a cat, and he was being turned down for not a good reason. 8 years old and adopted? You guys should be jumping through the roof. Most people want kittens!

You don't know him though, I know that, but I personally am very happy for him, so I can see why you guys wont really understand.
Being unemployed is an excellent reason to turn someone down...that's a person who if not now, but soon will be unable to provide for the animal should something happen. The fact that earlier in this thread, you said your friend had money in the bank, but not "like 20K"...I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist. That tells me that this person really doesn't have that much of a cushion in today's society. He doesn't. Money can go very quickly, and finding a job these days is not a slam dunk.

You keep talking about the "complaints" against this shelter...you're hearing that second hand, so that doesn't hold any water, and you've provided no proof.

What we are sure of is that your friend lied to get what he wanted, without regard to the policies and wants of the shelter. That wasn't a mature action, and you're never going to convince most here that it is. No, I'm not jumping up and down as you think I should, and I won't. It's disrespectful to the shelter that took that cat in and provided medical care, food and shelter for that animal, and IMO, lying to them was a selfish action.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol whatever, I don't care what any of you say anymore, you all sound biased. He has the cat, and that's that. He's happy, and the cat seems happy. He's wanted this for a long while and it's finally happened.

He could have went to Petco and picked up a cat and nobody would have even cared, but since it was a Shelter, ooo nooo it's so wrong to lie, he wanted to rescue a cat and that's what he did. If you think a cat is happier living in a shelter than with a loving owner, you are nuts.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Lol whatever, I don't care what any of you say anymore, you all sound biased. He has the cat, and that's that. He's happy, and the cat seems happy. He's wanted this for a long while and it's finally happened.

He could have went to Petco and picked up a cat and nobody would have even cared, but since it was a Shelter, ooo nooo it's so wrong to lie, he wanted to rescue a cat and that's what he did. If you think a cat is happier living in a shelter than with a loving owner, you are nuts.
You're choosing to look at this from one side. Yes, he could have gone to Petco...so why didn't he? Why did he have to adopt from that shelter? It doesn't make sense.

I only hope that the cat never needs any emergency medical care, and that your friend finds a job so he can continue to care for the cat. These things do matter whether you want to believe it or not.

Calling those who disagree with you "nuts" is not kind. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them wrong, or crazy.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

You're choosing to look at this from one side. Yes, he could have gone to Petco...so why didn't he? Why did he have to adopt from that shelter? It doesn't make sense.

I only hope that the cat never needs any emergency medical care, and that your friend finds a job so he can continue to care for the cat. These things do matter whether you want to believe it or not.

Calling those who disagree with you "nuts" is not kind. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them wrong, or crazy.
Because he wanted to adopt a shelter cat. You guys here don't condone even stepping foot into a pet store, so why are you asking me that? He loves animals, and wanted to rescue one.

He wasn't looking for a job before because he said "I just don't need the money right now", which is true, he has quite a bit to live off of for a while. But he IS getting a job, so stop acting like he isn't and he's going to run out of money and be homeless and all this stuff.

I can't all anyone nuts, but they can call my friend selfish? Psh.

Maybe if I told you guys that he was some cat beater or irresponsible homeless man off the streets you should be telling me how this was wrong to do, but given the circumstances of what I have told you, I don't believe I should be getting this type of response.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Because he wanted to adopt a shelter cat. You guys here don't condone even stepping foot into a pet store, so why are you asking me that? He loves animals, and wanted to rescue one.

He wasn't looking for a job before because he said "I just don't need the money right now", which is true, he has quite a bit to live off of for a while. But he IS getting a job, so stop acting like he isn't and hes going to run out of money and be homeless and all this stuff.

I can't all anyone nuts, but they can call my friend selfish? Psh.
The Petco's here have rescued cats from various organizations in it's stores...not cats from breeders. I assumed yours was the same way. I've never seen a Petco with BYB cats, but perhaps yours is different.

Wanting to get a job, and actually getting a job are two very different things. Many fields are saturated, and there aren't jobs available. He could have waited until he had a job. That's all anyone is saying.

I said it was a selfish act. I didn't call your friend a selfish person. That's two very different things.

I'm just saying that most here will not condone his lying to get the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.