My foster cats wants blood....

laureen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I first started fostering spunky about 2 months ago. He is 1.5 years old, his former owner was threatening to take him to the kill shelter when he moved at the end of the month and his story was being promoted by a rescue i had taken another cat from though they were not involved. He had not yet been neutered, and had never seen a vet. A local rescue i know agreed to help out if i would foster him, so he was neutered, vaccinated, and treated for fleas.

I took him home and brought him up to my finished attic, which is two decent sized rooms. the rescue people suspected he spent a lot of time alone, maybe there was abuse or rough play...and he had no social skills. he was basically staring me down the first few nights when i visited with him, and hissed/began to lunge if i got too close, but he never actually did hurt me. I sat in the room, didnt look at him, and just did my thing...and within a few days we were good buddies. he always liked to try to lightly nibble my hand to play, but that was the extent of his biting. he is a super sweet, and EXTREMELY PLAYFUL cat. I was even able to dress him up in costumes to market him!

Within 3 weeks, i thought i found him a home with some trusted acquaintances. they have another rescue cat as well. He was great upon meeting them. within 48 hours of being in their home for a trial, he was biting them, hard. and chasing their other cat, after he escaped his safe room. their teenager didnt like the situation and he was returned :( im told nothing else bad or traumatic happened there, and have to take their word for it.

Its been a month since ive gotten him back, and hes essentially become a monster to me!! he is super cute and playful, but attacks me any chance he gets. and i always attempt to redirect to a toy, but i fail! he will stalk, grab onto my arm or leg, bit and scratch hard, causing me to bleed. he will do it at seemingly random times, when i try to leave the room, when we are playing, whatever. the only time its off the table and he wont, is when i first come to the attic and he knows he is about to be fed.

i have tried to let him into the rest of the house thinking its anxiety, but he IMMEDIATELY ATTACKS my other cat who is on the main floor. that cat is 11 and has big medical issues and behavioral issues, so that wont work. and that guy is already seperated from my 15 y/o female while i attempt to medicate his issues...so its basically a mess in here! Im losing it trying to deal with everybody, and having to wear long sleeves, long jeans, and thick sneakers every time i visit my foster cat is crazy! plus, i dont even feel comfortable marketing him to find him a home until i can get these issues resolved. i would greatly appreciate any thoughts!

the attic he is in isnt really furnished, but he has two cat beds, a cat tree, and probably 30 toys scattered about. HELP!!!!

krate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that your cat is extremely playful would justify why it wants to bite you. My kitty does this sometimes when you play with her sometimes. Your cat could also have a chance of not being domestic. I'd say teach it to calm down by feeding the cat some treats and slowly begin a petting session. Repeat this daily until your cat transitions into a mellow mood around you.