My First Bottle Babies....

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just brought them home! I'm so excited and worried about them. Is there anything you guys would wish someone would have told you when you first had bottle babies? I'll post some pictures of them too. 3 boys and a girl!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goats milk. Although I did learn about it pretty early on, I wish someone had told me about how great it is.
So, I'm telling you now. 1 part KMR (powdered) and 3 parts goats milk is the best formula I've ever found. Raw is best, however if you can't get it, then pasteurized is good. Get it in your dairy section.
The other things I knew. Heating pad wrapped in towels on low, only non clumping litter when that time came, etc.

Will look forward to pictures, but get sleep when you can. You will be up every 2 hours to feed and stimulate. It's like having a human baby, you get sleep deprived.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cuties!

Please move them out of the laundry basket and into something with smooth sides. Their heads and arms can get caught in the holes.

Are you weighing them daily? Do they have a heating element?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cuties!

Please move them out of the laundry basket and into something with smooth sides. Their heads and arms can get caught in the holes.

Are you weighing them daily? Do they have a heating element?
Lol you made me laugh so hard. The "basket" you seem to see is the carrier I brought them home in. And since I've had them for about 12 hours no I have not been weighing them daily. Yes, I have a heated gel pad with them. This may be my first batch but I researched and took a class at the shelter before I signed up to foster. I'm no expert but I have the basics down

Last edited by a moderator:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They are adorable! Thank you for helping them! :loveeyes:

You’ve gotten a lot of great advice already! Feed them with KMR or goat’s milk, bellyside down with their head slightly elevated, like the position they would be in while nursing mom. Also, weigh them every day, to make sure that they’re growing at an adequate rate. About 10g of gain per day would be a good goal.

These articles have more information:

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As talkingpeanut talkingpeanut said, you need to be careful that any basket or crate you keep kittens in doesn't have bars or holes they can get their paws trapped in. It does happen sometimes and kittens can suffer nerve damage if they become trapped, so please be careful.

It would be a good idea to weigh them now so that you can keep track of their progress. Kittens can gain or lose weight in a 24 hour period, so it's important to keep a close eye on this. Get a note book to record their weights in and weigh them at the same time every day.

Good luck!

:goodluck: