My Feral Cat Mr. Mister

lindagail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been taking care of a feral cat for the past 10 years. He was an older cat when his colony was disbanded and he first came to my yard. I got him neutered and I have given him some other medical attention through the years, but overall he has kept his independence. However, he has become fond of me.

For three of the past four winters, he has slept in my barn in a feral cat shelter. His health started to go downhill this past fall so I moved him down to my cellar for the winter. He seemed very relieved to be out of the cold and to have a warmer place to live. I have shelters, beds, and a heated house down there and although it is not finished off, it does have a concrete floor and painted rock walls. There is a window in the cellar so he gets more than artificial light.

He is getting very frail and keeps losing teeth, but he still eats three times a day and drinks a lot of water. I think his kidneys may be going due to his age. Anyway, spring is here and I don’t know if I should make him go outside when he seems so happy in the cellar. I know when he wants to go out because he showed me when he had to spend a whole winter in the barn because we had so much snow I could not shovel him out (I am disabled).

I have asked questions of local shelters and humane societies, but have been basically left to fend for myself as they are overloaded with cats. I am vegan and I am not comfortable with euthanasia although I had a home euthanasia for one of my indoor cats who had cancer. I took care of him with pain management and the help of my vet but relieved him when his pain was no longer controlled and he was ready to go. I don’t think this old fellow I have now is ready to go although I keep telling him it is OK. I am hoping that he will die naturally.

Can anyone help me with a bit of advice?

Thank you.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's happy in the cellar why force him outside? I hope when his time comes he will die naturally, but if he is ever suffering you should euthanize him. Not sure what anti-euthanization has to do with being vegan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindagail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I guess I put that I am vegan to give you the sense of who I am when it comes to all animals.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would allow him to stay in the cellar. He's happy and content. Also if the time comes and he needs medical help, it would be easier to find him.
Thank you for caring for him. He has had a wonderful life because of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindagail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been meaning to reply to your post. Thank you for your response it may me feel much better. I want to do what is best for him. He is an amazing cat considering (most of) the life he's led. I can't even imagine how old he is as I have been caring for him for 9+ years and he was quite old when he first arrived. Again, thank you for your reply.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let him spend his golden years inside where he is safe. Mother nature is a cruel mistress to frail creatures. Give him a warm blanket in his favorite place and if it's chilly down there a ceramic heater does wonders.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds fine is his cellar. Can you pet him? Does he have a litter box? I love his name
and would love to see a pic if you have one.

Mia