My Favorite Cat Books

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope this is the right forum for this topic. I put it here because most of my favorite books are health and diet related or at least have those sections in them. Some are very expensive, so if you want to buy one, look for used.

Best all around cat book: CFA Complete Cat Book It has good breed over views and a very good health section for a beginner, or even more advanced cat lover.

Best nutrition book: Small Animal Clinical Nutrition This book is very technical but I have learned a lot from it. Very expensive, and it is very commercial cat food oriented and not the latest information on diabetes, but still very good.

Best health overview: The Feline Patient Another technical one, but very good at explaining diseases and what to expect at the vet with a sick kitty. Expensive.

Best drug book: Veterinary Drug Handbook Very technical, but it gives all the side effects and mechanism of action. Expensive.

Best veterinary dictionary (because I read such technical books
: Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary

Other good veterinary books I have read, used and liked: The Cornell Book of Cats Good price, good information for the non-technical cat lover. Merck Veterinary Manual Good overviews, technical but not too bad and not too expensive. Not a cat book, but it would be especially good for those with a lot of kinds of animals, because it covers everything from fish to lions.

Well, those are mine. A lot of technical stuff, but I can usually find what I want to know. Anyone else?

Becky

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good book recommendations. I've seen and read some of them. I mostly have bought in the last few years books on holistic/natural health care for cats. I have The Natural Remedy Book for Dogs & Cats by Diane Stein, Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by Richard Pitcairn, Homeopathic Care for Cats & Dogs by Don Hamilton, Keep Your Cat Healthy the Natural Way by Pat Lazarus and The Veterinarians' Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats by Martin Zucker. They are all excellent books and I did get most of them through amazon since they are cheaper that way. The library is also an excellent place to take books out pertaining to cat health, I've taken quite a few out that way that were fairly new books.