My Digby Won't Eat

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my babies won't eat. I believe he wants to but gets nauseated when he tries. We've been to the Vet and she says his initial blood work was good and to give it until the evening. Well, we did and still no luck. We brought him in again and another comprehensive blood evaluation was done and it did show inflammation this time. The cause of his inflammation is currently unknown. He had a shot of depo medrol and cerenia in the hopes this will trigger him to eat. Right now we're having to syringe feed him and he hates it. I don't know what we'll do if he vomits...it will put an end to this effort. He's currently taking flagyl for any potential bacterial infection but we're not seeing the effects yet. He's my special boy. He already has asthma and we use a puffer on him. Will take any advice...our hearts are hurting...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet do an x-ray to check for a blockage or gas in his intestines or colon? Have you tried offering plain meat baby food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - yes, thanks for responding. We tried baby food and other various types - from bland and stronger smelling food. We did have an Xray but nothing apparent. Oral cerenia was ineffective but his injection let's us, at least, use the syringe. I'm at my wits end. He wasn't stressed when this came upon him (he had no trouble snacking during noisy renos).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are his teeth okay? Sometimes tooth problems cause a kitty to stop eating. What about trying Pepcid? Have you asked your vet about that? How old is he? Did they check for constipation/impaction and did they check his urine for any kind of urinary tract or bladder infection or crystals?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Obediah Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Stephanietx - she said his teeth were good...just a little plaque. She also said he wasn't constipated but, at the time, I wasn't convinced and wanted to be sure so she moved things along with barium. I don't know if she checked his urine - he seems to be peeing okay. I will say my wee man is quite a size. He's 20lbs but is long and tall (not a special breed - just a big special guy). I'm so worried about fatty liver disease right now. I wish he could tell me where it hurts or why he's not interested in food.