MY DEAR CAT WAS KILLED LAST NIGHT, what predator?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, I don't live in a perfect world. The lion has not lain with the kid yet.   

My God, 6 tails by the feeding bowls and she watched the racoons finish eating the cats?  I would never have imagined. That is horrible. 5 cats were killed in silence? How many raccoons, did she say, were there?

This is a cat neighborhood and we have never had a cat killed by a raccoon in the 30 years I have lived here. Escaped dogs killed cats as the unfortunate cats had been declawed. We have a good number of raccoons as there are woods on each side and a stream.

I have to agree with you as the raccoons are very competitive with each other about food. They snarl and snort and chase each other, according to rank I suppose, but it is not serious, although it sounds serious to us. I really think it is more about establishing pecking order rather than food because food is plentiful enough around here. Also, in some instances where food is not so plentiful, I think if their habitat was not so depleted food might not be such an issue. We have an opossum, or two, also. It is very wary and fearful and flees very quickly at the first sound of me.
No. there were 6 tails at the food bowls but 5 of the tails belonged to her cats. The 6th tail belonged to a possum that the cats had befriended. She often saw the possum come in with the cats after that and they would all go back out together when they were done eating. All 5 cats were healthy and unharmed.She was pretty surprised to see the possum come in with the cats so causally like he lived there. 

Raccoons are known to kill cats over food but it didn't happen in the above scenario thankfully. I wouldn't want to tangle with an angry or cornered raccoon either. 

6cattails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that is so funny. I read 6 tails by the food dishes thinking there was nothing there but tails as remains of a marauding feast on cats. Thank you for correcting me.