My Cosmo

Diagnous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had Cosmo for seventeen years. We have been through the bad and good together and I miss her terribly. What is haunting me over and over is why her tail got bushey when she died. Has anyone ever experienced their pet having this and can you please explain it to me. Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can, as having been through it several times and being an RN. as the body shuts down, there are MANY processes that take place, all of them involuntary and differing on each individual. Many humans have 'goosebumps' when the tiny muscle at the base of each hair follicle contracts and causes the hair to stand up. The same principle happens when some stiffen or grow rigid. this happened with your sweet Cosmo and was at a time when most likely she was unaware of what was happening, could not prevent it. I'm sure it was totally involuntary and a part of the process........
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know it is entirely impossible at this time in your grieving to not think and dwell on things like this, it is a natural part of grieving. The only thing that helps with the pain of grieving is time. It dulls the sharp edges and allows us to let in good memories and to remember how much it meant to us to have them in our lives. These will enter and fill the huge hole this all leaves in your world. The bond you have with that sweet girl is a strong one. She will be at peace because of your love. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. As you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you, that is love.
My heart breaks for your pain, I know how much this hurts. It really helps to comfort others who are grieving, it brings comfort to comfort others. You might leave a small donation of food, or litter at your local shelter, and do it in her name. It may help you to feel better about yourself, I know it did me. Please know we are here if you need us, to be mourned after you pass is a great honor. You will be blessed for loving her so much......RIP dear Cosmo. you will be dearly missed, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diagnous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been researching this question for three months and could never get an answer. It has been bothering me over and over. What you said has given me so much comfort and relief because I was thinking that maybe she was scared when she was passing over and that tears me apart so thank you for those very kind words. I will be forever grateful. I miss her so much I can't stand it. Unbearable to handle at times. Thank you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you di and bob di and bob for explaining the physiology of what happens as the spirit leaves. These situations are very haunting and it helps to realize that the mechanics & electroimpulses are not what we naturally assume; agonal breathing is the most common but mentioned, are occurring post mortem.
Diagnous Diagnous , it cannot be said too much that here at TCS, we understand and we care. You can reach out to any one of us either in this thread or via PM. Have you found any song that helps you when you hear it? I have been listening to "Seasons In the Sun" by Terry Jacks; "Gone Away" by the Offspring; "The First Hello,The Ladt Goodbye" by Roger Whittaker....I welcome any suggestions.💔

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi; I'm very sorry. Am grieving as well, and the kitty I raised was taken at a year. So 17 years seems like an extremely long life. Perhaps that is some comfort.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catsknowme, I am truly a crazy cat person right now. Brillo, one of my remaining cats is about to turn 15, and I am throwing an over the top quinceanera (coming of age party) for her. It will be silly and fun.

I planned the party months ago, not knowing I was going to lose my Ziggy just days after sending the invitations. I made a playlist of music for the party, and have decided “Everything I Own” will be the first song played, as a memorial to my precious Ziggy. Once that is done, the party for Brillo can begin.

Last edited: