My Cats Won't Get Along For The Life Of Them!

sarahk6233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats, two old and two young and they don't get along. The 2 younger ones get along but that's about it. The two younger ones constantly are nagging the older ones (12 and 14 years old) like jumping on them, biting them, giving no respect. The older ones hate it and they are always hissing. They are constantly stressed and paranoid about the younger ones. The younger ones are almost 2 years old and it has always been this way. I thought it would get better but it hasn't. I know for a fact I introduced the younger ones into the house wrong, I just shoved them all in a room together instead of taking it one step at a time. How to I get my cats to get along or at least keep the younger ones out of my older cats way?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you separate them and go through the long step by step introduction as though it never happened? Cats seem to be willing to go along with that. There are articles for making the introduction on this site. Which someone else will have to find for you, because I can't get there right now. However, someone will do that, because people here are helpful with better site skills than me.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
My youngest and oldest wish the other was dead. It's been this way for the over 3 years I've had them.
They had a fight so big a couple weeks ago one actually poo'd themselves. Not sure who, but my gawd what a mess. Fur was everywhere and my little boy bit the bejeezus out of my arm as I separated them. (he's normally a complete mama's boy, but I found out it's true what they say about being careful breaking up a cat fight!)
So starting that day I decided to pretend they're brand new to each other.
The older gal lives in the bathroom for now, and I'm super slowly re-introducing them. We have "treat time" in the evenings. I pet them both with both my hands to get their scents mixed on each other. Old lady growls some and eats treats and purrs. Young boy is timid, but eats a couple.
I've got Feliway Multicat going in the bathroom and living room to calm both their crazy azzes down a bit.
I'm going to try letting older gal out an hour at a time under close supervision, probably this weekend.
The goal here is to make sure that they're reintroduced the right way, to lessen their stress towards each other. I, too, failed to do it correctly at the start, and we're all paying for it now.
I'm sure they're never gonna be besties, but I hope they can at least not fight. Or at least not to the point that everything gets covered in poop, fur, and my blood..;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahk6233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry your younger cats are bothering the older ones. Is it any particular time of day when this happens?
There's no particular time of the day, usually whenever the oldest wakes up and walks downstairs to get food for example. The younger ones get so excited whenever my oldest is up walking around and they do anything they can to get near him, even though he hates it! It's like they have a weird obsession and they always have to be showing off whenever the he's around.

sarahk6233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Can you separate them on occasion to give the older ones a break, and can you play with the young ones, really wear them out, use a laser light too.
Yeah, I try my best to separate them as much as possible and I think it does relieve some of the stress off of the older ones. The younger ones just do whatever it takes to be in their way, bother them, and get attention, and it's kind of like they're teaming up on the older boys? I'll try more separation and also reintroduction, thanks.

sarahk6233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awwee what's a little loss blood for our loving Vampires? :flail:

Slow and steady.

Remember to always end things with them on the positive - even if that positive is only a minute! :)
My youngest and oldest wish the other was dead. It's been this way for the over 3 years I've had them.
They had a fight so big a couple weeks ago one actually poo'd themselves. Not sure who, but my gawd what a mess. Fur was everywhere and my little boy bit the bejeezus out of my arm as I separated them. (he's normally a complete mama's boy, but I found out it's true what they say about being careful breaking up a cat fight!)
So starting that day I decided to pretend they're brand new to each other.
The older gal lives in the bathroom for now, and I'm super slowly re-introducing them. We have "treat time" in the evenings. I pet them both with both my hands to get their scents mixed on each other. Old lady growls some and eats treats and purrs. Young boy is timid, but eats a couple.
I've got Feliway Multicat going in the bathroom and living room to calm both their crazy azzes down a bit.
I'm going to try letting older gal out an hour at a time under close supervision, probably this weekend.
The goal here is to make sure that they're reintroduced the right way, to lessen their stress towards each other. I, too, failed to do it correctly at the start, and we're all paying for it now.
I'm sure they're never gonna be besties, but I hope they can at least not fight. Or at least not to the point that everything gets covered in poop, fur, and my blood..;)
Yeah, I definitely regret the way I introduced them and I feel awful because my sensitive old boys are paying for it! Over the course of the next few months, I'll try my best to reintroduce them all! It will for sure be a challenge but we'll see how it goes...

sarahk6233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

sarahk6233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you separate them and go through the long step by step introduction as though it never happened? Cats seem to be willing to go along with that. There are articles for making the introduction on this site. Which someone else will have to find for you, because I can't get there right now. However, someone will do that, because people here are helpful with better site skills than me.
I got a link and will look into it.. thank you!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I definitely regret the way I introduced them and I feel awful because my sensitive old boys are paying for it! Over the course of the next few months, I'll try my best to reintroduce them all! It will for sure be a challenge but we'll see how it goes...
Try not to feel bad. Tough I know, but, now you are on the right path :-)

You can do it!!!:cheerleader:

Let us know how it's going - the good, the bad and the ugly! We'll be here!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While you're waiting for things to work out and still face the possibility of breaking up fights, you too, m3rma1d, keep a large towel in each room. When the fight begins throw the towel over the combatants. It confuses them and, usually, they spring apart to fight the new enemy.

For dogs, I use throw rugs and the heavy rubber backed bathmats.

Or blankets and duvets work for both cats and dogs.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats, two old and two young and they don't get along. The 2 younger ones get along but that's about it. The two younger ones constantly are nagging the older ones (12 and 14 years old) like jumping on them, biting them, giving no respect. The older ones hate it and they are always hissing. They are constantly stressed and paranoid about the younger ones. The younger ones are almost 2 years old and it has always been this way. I thought it would get better but it hasn't. I know for a fact I introduced the younger ones into the house wrong, I just shoved them all in a room together instead of taking it one step at a time. How to I get my cats to get along or at least keep the younger ones out of my older cats way?
sarahk6233 sarahk6233 Thank you for caring and wanting to improve life for your cats! In addition to others' great suggestions and links, I would recommend cat behaviorist extraordinaire Jackson Galaxy's "MY CAT FROM HELL" on Animal Planet TV and his videos on YouTube (He's also known as The Cat Daddy). He has a lot of experience working with these kinds of situations and you will learn a lot from him as well as being entertained! Please keep us updated, won't you?:wave3:

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to be frank - they might never get along and it might not ever be worth the stress. I had a similar situation in my house and we had to give my male cat to my mother in-law. I was one of the best things I've done - instantly I was calm and I knew he was okay. Cats fighting 24/7 can be exhausting and you have to look out for yourself first.