My cats won't finish their food and it's starting to feel like a personal attack

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of great suggestions on this thread already but I didn't see much about variety. It sounds like you're only feeding one kind of food, is that right, Sheeni Sheeni ? The AvoDerm? Our cats really-really-really love to eat but if we don't feed them a variety of foods, they get bored and just simply don't/won't eat well. It's also possible they don't particularly like that food. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner already mentioned that thought.

I also couldn't agree more with what Talien Talien says about the importance of very slow weight loss.

Beyond trying to add more variety, another suggestion would be to feed foods that have less vegetable matter than the AvoDerm. Personally, I'd avoid the rice flour, oatmeal, oat fiber, and pea fiber (which can raise carbs) in favor of less carby foods that get their calories from meat, which tends to satiate cats more. One brand that has lots of relatively low-calorie foods is Weruva. If you keep the carbs low by avoiding foods with ingredients like tapioca, peas, and potato starch, you can easily feed a protein- and water-rich diet with quite a bit of variety. Weruva's site also has zillions of charts showing protein, fat, and carbs. I love them for that!

There have also been Cat Site members whose cats lost weight, slowly, over time, on Fancy Feast Classics, which don't have any fillers. Yes, the calories in FF are higher than lots of other foods but if they keep the cat eating and satiated, that's half the battle. Feeding a calorie-dense meal right before bed can also help avoid having the cats wake you up.

Unfortunately, it often takes a fair bit of trial and error to figure out a good menu for cats: it took us a couple years (yes, years!) to figure out a good long-term rotation for ours, who have food issues including sensitivities to some ingredients, constipation, and insecurity about having enough to eat. I sometimes have to readjust, when recipes change or a food gets discontinued. Don't beat yourself up. I, too, went through spells of wondering what I was doing wrong but I did better by just focusing on making small, gradual changes until I reached the right combination of foods and the right eating schedule.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the best thing to do is figure out what their ideal weight is and lower the amount they are being fed until they start losing weight, and continue to slowly lower it until they reach their ideal weight. If a Cat should weigh 8-10 LB but is 15 LB and is being fed the amount that a 15 LB Cat should eat, then it's probably not going to lose weight. If they are used to eating x amount then they will want to continue eating x amount, and it's normal if they bug you for food if they are fed less until they get used to it.

I have a Cat that I rescued who is absolutely obsessed with food and will do things like dive into the kitchen trash to eat whatever is in there. It doesn't matter if he's just eaten, if he sees anything that resembles food he will try to eat it. This is most common with rescued Cats that had been on their own outside for a long period of time and were starved, but much like people, some Cats just really like food. A while back he jumped onto the kitchen counter then into the microwave to steal a piece of chicken that I had just cooked, then tried to grab it back when I took it away from him but sank his teeth into my hand instead. He let go as soon as he realized it was my hand and not the chicken, but yeah.

It's important not to let them lose weight too rapidly though, Cats are not designed to metabolize large amounts of fat and it can result in hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) which can be fatal.
So I should just let them each eat 1 can a day with the dry food and it sounds unlikely they will die? If they did start losing weight too rapidly I'm not sure what I would do about it since we'd be back to them not finishing food. Honestly I've just noticed that they begged more often when I was feeding them more and regularly but they wouldn't finish it, and lately since I've started ignoring them crying for two hours before every mealtime and just giving the wet food at unpredictable times in the morning and evening it seems like they've given up trying to get it early. I think when they first knew what time I would put it out they started asking for it early and when I tried to stay consistent they were still begging by the time I had to feed them and probably got the idea that begging for two hours will eventually result in food. They seem to be feeling a lot more reasonable now so I will continue to let them eat like this if nobody is particularly worried that it will malnourish them.

There are lots of great suggestions on this thread already but I didn't see much about variety. It sounds like you're only feeding one kind of food, is that right, Sheeni Sheeni ? The AvoDerm? Our cats really-really-really love to eat but if we don't feed them a variety of foods, they get bored and just simply don't/won't eat well. It's also possible they don't particularly like that food. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner already mentioned that thought.

I also couldn't agree more with what Talien Talien says about the importance of very slow weight loss.

Beyond trying to add more variety, another suggestion would be to feed foods that have less vegetable matter than the AvoDerm. Personally, I'd avoid the rice flour, oatmeal, oat fiber, and pea fiber (which can raise carbs) in favor of less carby foods that get their calories from meat, which tends to satiate cats more. One brand that has lots of relatively low-calorie foods is Weruva. If you keep the carbs low by avoiding foods with ingredients like tapioca, peas, and potato starch, you can easily feed a protein- and water-rich diet with quite a bit of variety. Weruva's site also has zillions of charts showing protein, fat, and carbs. I love them for that!

There have also been Cat Site members whose cats lost weight, slowly, over time, on Fancy Feast Classics, which don't have any fillers. Yes, the calories in FF are higher than lots of other foods but if they keep the cat eating and satiated, that's half the battle. Feeding a calorie-dense meal right before bed can also help avoid having the cats wake you up.

Unfortunately, it often takes a fair bit of trial and error to figure out a good menu for cats: it took us a couple years (yes, years!) to figure out a good long-term rotation for ours, who have food issues including sensitivities to some ingredients, constipation, and insecurity about having enough to eat. I sometimes have to readjust, when recipes change or a food gets discontinued. Don't beat yourself up. I, too, went through spells of wondering what I was doing wrong but I did better by just focusing on making small, gradual changes until I reached the right combination of foods and the right eating schedule.

Good luck!
I will have to try the brand you mentioned and different varieties. I really only settled on this one because I couldn't find consistent information about what is actually low-carb and high protein, every source seemed to contradict each other and suggest that doing it the other way would result in certain death so this food seemed like the safest bet that was recommended most commonly. It was hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of them being this picky about food because clearly they've been satisfied enough with their dry food all these years to get this fat off of it, but now they sniff it like lima beans. I think maybe they genuinely didn't know that it wasn't the only/best food until now (it's not like they've never had wet food before though lol).

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're still leaving food behind then they're definitely not getting underfed, especially if you're leaving dry food out for them between mealtimes. That is probably what is causing them to not lose weight, dry food is loaded with carbohydrates which promote weight gain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they're still leaving food behind then they're definitely not getting underfed, especially if you're leaving dry food out for them between mealtimes. That is probably what is causing them to not lose weight, dry food is loaded with carbohydrates which promote weight gain.
Right? Their weight was pretty stable before I changed to wet food, though. They didn't really have an issue until they both gained weight in 2019 and have stayed the same amount of chubby since then, but they look more bloated since adding wet food. The dry food is the only way I am sure they have the option to eat if it has actually been too long, but they only take a few bites in the morning waiting for the can of wet food now. I put 3/4 cup of dry food in their bowl and it takes them about 4 days to finish half before I replace it, and considering what I've noticed I guess they should probably eat only dry food rather than giving them scheduled meals and letting them snack on it. They seemed to manage it at least better than what I am doing and life was much less stressful for everyone before switching to wet food. I couldn't get them to lose much weight but they weren't getting worse at least.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just adding some additional thoughts/questions to those you have already received above -

What do your cats weigh, and how much are they supposed to weigh? How old are they? How do they compare to the body condition chart I have included below? The only thing I caution you about the chart is that - like most all others - it does not mention the flabby belly fat known as the primordial pouch that most all cats have - thin and fat alike.

I looked up the canned food you are feeding them, and I believe it is 154 calories per 5.5 oz can. Tbh, many canned foods - that are NOT weight management - have around the same amount of calories in them. So, if part of their issue is the fact that they don't much care for the food, you have a wide range of other foods you could try that wouldn't be all that much different calorically than what you are trying to feed them now.

I know you said they seem to like this particular food because of their behavior, but that may not actually be the case. If they are like my cat, Feeby is howling for her breakfast in the AM, but if she isn't that crazy about the food, she won't eat much of it - and would actually rather not eat the rest of the day than to finish it. This behavior also slows down a cat's metabolism - it's the body's own natural 'safety valve' to help reduce fat/muscle loss.

The other things about Feeby that might apply to your cats - Feeby can take hours to finish a 3 oz can of food - even the ones she really likes. She is kind of a grazer when it comes to eating. But, she also hates food that is drying out, so I am repeatedly adding a bit of water (or bone broth) to the food in order to keep it moister. She also doesn't like food that she has flattened out in the dish (she laps food more than bites it), so I re-scoop it into a pile. I have to do both of these things multiple times a day - or she will just stop eating.

Just some other aspects to consider as you try to figure out what is going on with your cats.View attachment 385399
I cannot identify more with you if I tried. Moo has me conditioned to do the same for him as you do for your. He doesn't like the food to be flattened in his dish, he will love a certain food for a few days then won't touch it, he won't touch it if it's dried etc. etc. He is a total food brat, but I love him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I cannot identify more with you if I tried. Moo has me conditioned to do the same for him as you do for your. He doesn't like the food to be flattened in his dish, he will love a certain food for a few days then won't touch it, he won't touch it if it's dried etc. etc. He is a total food brat, but I love him.
I tend to think that Feeby does these things because she used to be fed dry food only, and I am not sure she has ever really figured out how to eat canned food. Maybe that applies to Moo, too?

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tend to think that Feeby does these things because she used to be fed dry food only, and I am not sure she has ever really figured out how to eat canned food. Maybe that applies to Moo, too?
You are probably right. I've never thought of that. Moo was our barn cat and ate mostly dry food. Thanks.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put wet food on a plate or larger bowl to help with food being pushed to the sides & not able to be eaten.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can use any wet food that is low carb, not just prescription weight loss wet food. I agree with Feebysowner that it seems like they aren’t crazy about the food. If their health allows, maybe something like Friskies or Fancy Feast pates? Most cats go crazy for those brands. Or whatever brand you want, that they will actually finish. I read here on the cat site that one member had success with his cat losing weight by eliminating all dry and feeding it only wet food, as much as it wanted to eat, twice a day. It might be worth a try just for something different. If you want to feed three times a day, you could try the twice a day method for a week and see about how much they are eating, and then divide that amount into three portions moving forward.
Sometimes you just have to experiment to find out what they like. My vet said it was perfectly fine to feed mine Fancy Feast Pate. However, Cricket won't eat that, the only thing she'll eat is Weruva and Soulistic flavors with Mackerel. That said, neither of mine will finish unless I leave it down, which I can't, so I end up feeding them multiple times a day.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I worried about this with Lydia too as she was really not eating much (but not gaining or losing weight).

I basically can't feed the same canned food two days in a row. If I do, she will eat the first can, but the next day will eat a couple bites and that's it. Food that comes in a variety pack of flavors are my friends :lol: If I really need to entice her to eat something, I crumble freeze dried food on top of it. It's frustrating for sure. I leave wet food out for up to 12 hours and if it's not gone, I try again the next day with a new can

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Put wet food on a plate or larger bowl to help with food being pushed to the sides & not able to be eaten.
Hopefully, that will work for Moo. For Feeby, a larger bowl just means she has farther to push it to the sides, and a plate means she will push right off the plate and on to the floor!!!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right? Their weight was pretty stable before I changed to wet food, though. They didn't really have an issue until they both gained weight in 2019 and have stayed the same amount of chubby since then, but they look more bloated since adding wet food. The dry food is the only way I am sure they have the option to eat if it has actually been too long, but they only take a few bites in the morning waiting for the can of wet food now. I put 3/4 cup of dry food in their bowl and it takes them about 4 days to finish half before I replace it, and considering what I've noticed I guess they should probably eat only dry food rather than giving them scheduled meals and letting them snack on it. They seemed to manage it at least better than what I am doing and life was much less stressful for everyone before switching to wet food. I couldn't get them to lose much weight but they weren't getting worse at least.
If they're the same weight but look fatter it's possible they could have worms, they will get more bloated over time as the worms multiply. It would also explain the decreased appetite. It's a possibility, anyway.

Erebekah579

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sheeni, I feel your pain. I have so many tricks up my sleeve to coax my guy Odie into eating food he's not crazy about. If you want to continue their current food, some suggestions would be to buy dried fish flakes (pet stores have this in the cat treat section) and sprinkle/mix a good pinch on or in their food. Similarly, freeze dried crumbled chicken meat, heart, gizzards, or livers like mizzely suggested. Chewy and Amazon carry these specifically for pets. Churu treat tubes are also a big hit. I usually only offer any of these after I give him his food plain. If he just picks at it but acts like he still wants to eat, then I might put treats on top of it. I have to be sure to count these calories among his daily intake.

He eats off a raised platform out of a shallow bowl (flat plates don't work the best for him). He has a little table set up that I made out of a mini cutting board and a wire shelf riser that's about 5 inches tall. I have read raised bowls can help with digestion and increased intake.

Your boy with the sensitive stomach might benefit from probiotics?

If your food is a pate, maybe try mixing it with a chunky or morsel variety, OR blending the pate with extra water so it's more like a thick soup. That might be easier to eat.

I'm currently trying to transition Odie to some better food to keep his urinary tract healthy and to help him drop a couple of pounds. It would be so easy if he liked Weruva and Soulistic but he's underwhelmed :(
It's not easy. I don't have all the answers but hopefully some of these ideas might help you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats only want to eat twice a day now instead of 3 times a day. Have you tried that? 6am and 6pm.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats only want to eat twice a day now instead of 3 times a day. Have you tried that? 6am and 6pm.
And our cats are the opposite: they eat best with lots of small meals, five a day, plus a snack! Yet more proof of how much this all depends on each individual cat. ;)