My Cats won't eat as much as they used to

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Y'all!

I have 10 cats, ranging in age from 6 months to 2-3 years.

Lately, I fed them a little more than usual for dinner. Since then, their eating seems to have gone out of whack. Their breakfast the next morning was barely touched, with a good amount of food still left before dinner. I topped them up a little bit, but at 1 -2 am, I noticed there was still a ton of food left. I threw it out, hoping I could "reset" their eating times by not providing any food till their breakfast at 8.30.

Breakfast comes, and they're still not as enthusiastic as usual, but food is definitely getting finished way slower, with less of them coming into the kitchen for their meals once they hear the kibble hit their bowls. Normally, I get swarmed the moment I leave my room. It seems like ALL of them are ambivalent about their food, which makes me think it's probably not medical.

Any advice or insight would be great, because there's been no change in food type/brand, and this hasn't happened before according to my in-laws.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you try a different brand? Can you also give them some wet food - it doesn't have to be every meal but some canned food during the week would be really helpful for their health.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it getting warmer where you live? It seems like every year as summer approaches we get similar threads about cats eating less. I know my cats eat less as it warms up. It could be something is simple as that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I totally didn't see the post replies but figured I would give an update.

Their eating has been gradually going back up. I'm truly at a loss as to what happened, I've lived here for 7 months, so no major changes in their routines. I'm beginning to think that they got thrown off their usual schedule by me giving them a little more food as my females looked a little skinny.

Things are returning back to normal, with them clamouring for their food morning and evening.

Thanks everyone!