My cats water broke 20 hours ago but no kittens!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long can kittens survive after the water broke. I went to the vet and wasnt satisfied as i was basically told “ i cant do c section today, but i can tomorrow but kittens may basically die if they aren’t delivered tonight “. i dont want my fur baby to lose her kittens. Im very worried for her well being also.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long can kittens survive after the water broke. I went to the vet and wasnt satisfied as i was basically told “ i cant do c section today, but i can tomorrow but kittens may basically die if they aren’t delivered tonight “. i dont want my fur baby to lose her kittens. Im very worried for her well being also.
This situation happens sometimes. Its always scary, but usually the delivery comes OK anyway! So lets hope for the best!

During the time you wait, give her calcium rich food if she eats or drinks at all. Whatever calcium rich you have at hand and she takes. Because lack of calcium may cuse weak labor... Cant hurt, may help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how is she acting? In distress, crying, pacing, or calm and happy? That may mean a lot. if two days has gone by I myself would take her in, the chance of infection is extremely high once the water breaks. Have them x ray her first to determine what is going on. all the luck, please keep us informed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took her in twice yesterday but both vets sent me home assuming she would be able to deliver them. they told me if she doesnt by tonight which she hasnt, that id need to take to take her in at 8am to have them do surgery. shes been pretty vocal but only when i get up to use the bathroom or to get something. Shes been eating regularly and drinking little water. i also only saw her use the litter box once and that was before we went to the vet. shes been pretty calm for the most part and purring so much. earlier she randomly got this burst of energy and started running around but came to lay down shortly. im so nervous for her but im comforting her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she’s not in distress it may be ok. Did they do X-rays or anything? Every cat is different, but if she is not having active contractions, it is just taking longer. I pray everything goes smoothly, I hope she starts soon!

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she’s not in distress it may be ok. Did they do X-rays or anything? Every cat is different, but if she is not having active contractions, it is just taking longer. I pray everything goes smoothly, I hope she starts soon!
shes been very calm for the most part. she only seems to yowl and meow when i get up to use the bathroom. but we’ve been in my room. shes real restless. i took her to the vet an hour ago and they sent her back. hopefully she gives birth today or tonight and the babies are okay. the vet has not done xrays. 4 times ive gone and they dont do it, telling me to come back the next day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
shes been very calm for the most part. she only seems to yowl and meow when i get up to use the bathroom. but we’ve been in my room. shes real restless. i took her to the vet an hour ago and they sent her back. hopefully she gives birth today or tonight and the babies are okay. the vet has not done xrays. 4 times ive gone and they dont do it, telling me to come back the next day.
The situation IS scary, but apparently the vets arent alarmed... As said, its suprising often the delivery goes OK, althought water broke days ago.

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The situation IS scary, but apparently the vets arent alarmed... As said, its suprising often the delivery goes OK, althought water broke days ago.
do you know how long the kittens can survive if moms water broke days ago?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What happened when you took her in today? Did they refuse to do the C section again? Or am I calculating the days incorrectly?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are likely fine. They are each enclosed in their own little water sac that either breaks during delivery or mom tears it open and licks the baby to stimulate breathing. The water that broke is a larger set of waters that surround the kittens in the two horns of the uterus — one on each side of mom’s belly.

Is mom in any distress? Is she having red or brown discharge, or is it white or pink? Have you seen or felt kitten movement?

It’s best to ask the vet to give mom an injection of oxytocin to stimulate labor before advancing to a C-section. However, if she is in distress or has unusual discharge or a foul odor from her vagina, she may need surgery.

Usually, Mother Nature moves things along naturally. I hope that will be the case here. Do keep us posted. L lennyscarlett

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
L lennyscarlett

How is your cat? What is going on? Any kittens yet? I hope all is well. Please update!
hi sorry for the late update. i took a few days off. i took her to a new vet later that night on the 2nd. My cat lost her kittens 😔 she was only going to have one but after many attempts they couldn’t bring her kitten back. the other one she had was deformed and very tiny. my Cats much better now though and she’s recovering well.

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What happened when you took her in today? Did they refuse to do the C section again? Or am I calculating the days incorrectly?
i took her in and she lost her two kittens. one was deformed an very tiny, but the other but they both passed away ): my cat is fine now thankfully and is recovering well.

lennyscarlett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who asked about my cat and her kittens, and were able to provide some knowledge. i want to update everyone though, my cat needed surgery bc she stopped showing intrest in labor, i stopped feeling her babies and she got super energetic and was playing with the other kittens. she just wanted nothing to do with her nesting box. i took her to a vet and they removed her two babies she was going to have. both didnt make it. one was deformed and tiny. the other one looked fully developed but didn’t survive): my cat is recovering and she is well. thank you everyone💞

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad mama is okay. Did she end up having a couple - you say she was playing with other kittens? If yes, do you have any pictures?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry for the loss of the kittens, and hope that your cat is doing well. When cats pass, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like to post about the kittens, you’re welcome to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.