My Cats Tooth Extraction

petluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year Calico cat had to have 4 teeth removed yesterday and is not doing as well as I think she should be. They sent her home with only a Fentanyl patch that does not seem to be helping her pain. She is allergic to buprenorphine. She is refusing to eat and since she has inflammatory bowel disease it is really important that she eat! Especially since she is on medication. I am thinking I may have to take to back to the vet tomorrow for a pain shot so she will start eating.I know that cats cannot to very long without eating since it can affect their liver. I have tried giving her dry food, wet food and even a little cheese.
Is this normal for a cat to react this way after having dental work. I know it takes time for her mouth to heal but I concerned because of the IBD

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 12 year Calico cat had to have 4 teeth removed yesterday and is not doing as well as I think she should be. They sent her home with only a Fentanyl patch that does not seem to be helping her pain. She is allergic to buprenorphine. She is refusing to eat and since she has inflammatory bowel disease it is really important that she eat! Especially since she is on medication. I am thinking I may have to take to back to the vet tomorrow for a pain shot so she will start eating.I know that cats cannot to very long without eating since it can affect their liver. I have tried giving her dry food, wet food and even a little cheese.
Is this normal for a cat to react this way after having dental work. I know it takes time for her mouth to heal but I concerned because of the IBD
She could be having some normal reactions to the anesthetic post-surgery (nausea, feeling weird). But, in my view, a fentanyl patch for a tooth extraction is pretty strong. I do see that she has issues with using buprenorphine so choices might be limited. But I know when my cat had one of her knee surgeries, she was given a fentanyl patch to be used for a few days, and that fentanyl patch... whew! NOT a good thing for my cat. She reacted terribly to it! I was freaking out. I called the surgeons and nurses and followed what they recommended, upon hearing how she was doing (we took off the patch, used another med).

I'd recommend you calling the vet and just giving them an update on your cat's behaviors, lack of eating, etc., and see how the vet feels about any possible status change with the fentanyl. You and your vet know your cat's case the best. I am not a vet but it could be very possible that your cat is not taking to that pain med well right alongside having the nausea from the anesthesia wearing off, OR it could just be the anesthesia wearing off. Your vet has been through tons more surgeries of all kinds than I have with cats. But each cat is different.
:vibes: :vibes: :grouphug2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No i have not tried this food! However she loves duck and I was able to get her eat Nurto Max canned duck! Plus I was able to give her the medications for her IBD!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I removed a fentanyl patch from my GSD, a huge guy, when he had surgery. They can be unpredictable and he had several side effects from it. I think that you need to update the vet, but am glad to read last post that your baby is eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate your reply. Callie is eating maybe not as much as normal but at least she is eating and acting more like herself.
Our pets are like family and when they have to have something done we feel their pain.