My Cats Personality Has Been Completely Changed.

Charleeblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 year old cat with hyperthyroidism. He is on Methimazole 2.5 mg. 2×day. He used to be loving and cuddly but now he's lethargic and just goes off by himself. Has anyone else had this or other problems with this med?

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has other medical issues but yes, medication changed him a lot. The "being by himself" can be a sign of pain. I know I want to be left alone when I am feeling down!
I just follow his lead. If he comes to me, I cuddle him. Usually, I leave him alone which is harder for me than him. I miss his cuddles. :( All the best to you and your little fur ball.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Drowsiness is a common side effect of Methimazole. I don't think it's anything concerning, and this effect might disappear once his system gets more used to the med. You could always give your vet a quick call, just to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charleeblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou to both of you for replying. I am grateful to learn this side effect may be temporary because normally he is sweet and loving. His level was.at.7 so i know he had to be treated. I am a Registered nurse but my vet tells me i cannot compare to human response. Also he has arthritis but i think Dr.wants to get this under control first Again, thank you for making me feel better!