My cat’s nose is getting worse

Starion7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So I took my cat to the vet. They said it was some sort of infection. They gave her an injection for ringworm. And Miconahex tris wipes to be applied once a day. This was her before the appointment
IMG_1806.png

and this is her now after the appointment
IMG_1872.jpeg

I’m getting worried and I’m not sure if this is normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starion7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So I took my cat to the vet. They said it was some sort of infection. They gave her an injection for ringworm. And Miconahex tris wipes to be applied once a day. This was her before the appointment View attachment 472904

and this is her now after the appointment
View attachment 472905
I’m getting worried and I’m not sure if this is normal.
I got an advice of dispose of the wipes immediately and use hydrocortisone and oils instead of that. What is your opinion on that?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Just out of curiosity, how did the vet diagnose it was ringworm, e.g. did they do a PCR test? Did they prescribe an oral medication? You mentioned they gave her some type of injection but do you know what it was specifically? I thought this article about ringworm in cats would have a lot of helpful information for you including symptoms, causes, diagnosis and treatment:
Ringworm in Cats
TCS also has an excellent article that explains how to deal with ringworm including the proper housecleaning procedures:
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite

Starion7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Just out of curiosity, how did the vet diagnose it was ringworm, e.g. did they do a PCR test? Did they prescribe an oral medication? You mentioned they gave her some type of injection but do you know what it was specifically? I thought this article about ringworm in cats would have a lot of helpful information for you including symptoms, causes, diagnosis and treatment:
Ringworm in Cats
TCS also has an excellent article that explains how to deal with ringworm including the proper housecleaning procedures:
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
Hi! And no they didn’t do any tests at all. They gave her an Antibiotic vaccine called Convenia. Whenever they applied the wipes something yellow would come off, but the use of the wipes made it worse on the long run

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The question becomes whether or not this is ringworm or another infection. If it is ringworm, the article from #3 lists the medications given orally and also that often medicated dips are used.

Did the vet actually say that it is ringworm and that the Convenia injection would work? My only experience with Convenia and a skin problem was that it began to heal within a matter of hours.

Given that you just went to the vet with your cat, can you call tomorrow and update them?

Starion7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The question becomes whether or not this is ringworm or another infection. If it is ringworm, the article from #3 lists the medications given orally and also that often medicated dips are used.

Did the vet actually say that it is ringworm and that the Convenia injection would work? My only experience with Convenia and a skin problem was that it began to heal within a matter of hours.

Given that you just went to the vet with your cat, can you call tomorrow and update them?
I will try and call. I checked her nose and it’s so way worse. Feels scabby and has different colors after using those wipes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You just paid for a vet visit, so call as soon as you can and discuss this with them. Try to find out what they think it is and ask if you need any specific medication for ringworm or how to proceed. Let us know what you find out.

Starion7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You just paid for a vet visit, so call as soon as you can and discuss this with them. Try to find out what they think it is and ask if you need any specific medication for ringworm or how to proceed. Let us know what you find out.
I’m definitely going to get charged tho… I made an appointment with them again. I hope they can actually help her this time. I hate seeing how bad it got

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure your vet will offer more ideas (and more educated), however, for topical type infections I use colloidal silver. Doesn't sting, okay if they ingest some, and the cats tolerate it like a drop of water. I've used it on cat acne, eye gunk, and scratches/wounds to keep things from getting worse. I use it on myself too if I get cuts. Anyways... Let us know what the vet says! I just wanted to throw out another idea if you need it down the line.

Starion7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I went today and they gave her an injection of depo medrol. Worried how that will affect her. I just don’t feel I’m being heard, the doctor said the wipes shouldn’t be doing anything but it did so. I just hope she makes it after this injection.