My cat's iris is reflective only in one eye.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello TCS members, please help me!

Yesterday ( referring to the smaller picture ) my cat's left eye seemed irritated because the eye was partially closed... and today, I noticed that her left eye is way more reflective than her right eye ( the normal eye ). Does anyone know what might be the problem? I am going to the vet tomorrow but I would like to ask users here if anyone have undergo similar situation with their cats in the past... Thanks.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering about this myself, since I noticed last night that Marshmallow has only one reflective eye (no eye problems that I know of). Since we first got him, I thought "that cat's eyes look odd". Then last night I noticed his eyes were slightly different colors, one more light gold and the other light green. The difference in colors is so subtle that I never even realized they weren't the same. The light gold has those black flecks in the iris and it is the one that is not reflective. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too will be following this thread with interest. My first thought was, it's just the lighting.

But I think you are wise to get the vet involved. Be sure to let us know what happens.

Gorgeous kitty, by the way! What's her name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All right - the vet says that she has conjunctivitis and is given an eyedrop solution called neo-poly-dex ophthalmic solution and apply 3 times a day.

@Otto: Her name is Yuki

@Violet: Thanks for the link

jtswanson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also just noticed this same thing in my 2 year old, female cat, Rain.  Both eyes function & dilate; I observe no loss of vision at this point.  Her Left eye is non reflective (under normal light & flashlight directed into eye--BUT I did see reflection last night in ultra low light, just not super reflective).  The Right eye was highly reflective.  I thought the Left, (non reflective), was of concern but after 20 plus hours researching over 3 days & closer examination of both eyes, the highly reflective eye is the one I'm worried about.  The reflection inside the eye is not a perfect circle shape & I believe it is more than likely the beginning of a tumor.  I will be taking her to the University Vet Hospital in Columbia, MO on Monday (normal business hours are M-F).  My wife & I are both unemployed after moving back to Missouri & I know this will be expensive if my fears are confirmed.  I do know they will allow payments; we'll know more in a couple days & I hope she will not have to lose her eye.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness. Rain is so young! I do hope your worst fears won't be confirmed. Rain will be in my prayers. 

Sending hugs to you and your wife. 

hello_kimmii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I’m a new owner of 2 Scottish fold kittens, one straight and one fold, I noticed the same thing with my straight kitten, but will definitely go to get this week. She been having conjunctivitis due to over playing with my fold kitten. But this time I got scared from the reflection.

Attachments

Midnight_23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I’m a new owner of 2 Scottish fold kittens, one straight and one fold, I noticed the same thing with my straight kitten, but will definitely go to get this week. She been having conjunctivitis due to over playing with my fold kitten. But this time I got scared from the reflection.
Hi, I'm just a new member. I created an account mainly because I wanted to ask if you were able to find out a remedy to this. I have the same problem with my 5-month old kitten. I just noticed the change in her eyes 2 days ago (on the reflection thingy). We can't go to her vet this week because I am a bit busy. But this is something that really worries me.

hello_kimmii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I talked to my Vet, and it is a requirement for us busy bees to spay and neuter them. It’s our obligation and if we can’t provide that then, what are we then? So the best way is to give time for them and have them fixed.

hello_kimmii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry! Wrong message, anyway my vet gave me an ointment for her eyes and I cut their nails every weeks, cause it’s the nails that’s giving my other kitty conjunctivitis

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To chime in here, I noticed this in my 5 month old kitten and the vet was not concerned and said things look great.

owensmo1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats eye also dose this, but she can see in both eyes.

sharky_lyzuerYT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All right - the vet says that she has conjunctivitis and is given an eyedrop solution called neo-poly-dex ophthalmic solution and apply 3 times a day.

@Otto: Her name is Yuki

@Violet: Thanks for the link
Omg that's scary:my cats name is also yuki and she also has the same eye problem 😳

Isaiah&stripesimissmybaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yesterday ( referring to the smaller picture ) my cat's left eye seemed irritated because the eye was partially closed... and today, I noticed that her left eye is way more reflective than her right eye ( the normal eye ). Does anyone know what might be the problem? I am going to the vet tomorrow but I would like to ask users here if anyone have undergo similar situation with their cats in the past... Thanks.
So guys i dont really talk about her due to the fact that january 4th she passed and was my best friend in ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry cut me off accidently so ill post pics of my girl when she had woerd eyes vets said was brokem bones or somesort of back issue and gave her suboxone liquid up to 3times daily ....she was actually literally going blind i still dont know the exact cause of what had went on all i know is i absolutely found true love and beauty in that cat ill post some pics we did on my copy machine that was like one of our things. Look at how these came out their absolutely crazy how powerful know that as we took a total of 9 she increasingly got more reluctant and i still have no clue how i got these so golden poses i never even ried to put her down i wanted too but couldnt bring myself to do it long story short she was going blind to answer the wierd eyes but anywho.... yea we had some of the most pure love and revealing of our silver wire bonded relationship 23 years that was my absolute favorite entity ill ever encounter i miss her dearly but im crying now im gonna js shutup and post ill never forget seeing her 3 times different scenes all each closer and closer to where she was at the last time i got mad instantly irdk why and i just held her bc it was her running up the stairs inside to actual her if tht makes sense i really have so much i could say like how at my grandmas where we prev. Stayed she ran being fully blind as heck like she just knew the place no problem full sprinted upstairs to our old bed plopped right down i got my heart slit deep from her

Attachments

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry cut me off accidently so ill post pics of my girl when she had woerd eyes vets said was brokem bones or somesort of back issue and gave her suboxone liquid up to 3times daily ....she was actually literally going blind i still dont know the exact cause of what had went on all i know is i absolutely found true love and beauty in that cat ill post some pics we did on my copy machine that was like one of our things. Look at how these came out their absolutely crazy how powerful know that as we took a total of 9 she increasingly got more reluctant and i still have no clue how i got these so golden poses i never even ried to put her down i wanted too but couldnt bring myself to do it long story short she was going blind to answer the wierd eyes but anywho.... yea we had some of the most pure love and revealing of our silver wire bonded relationship 23 years that was my absolute favorite entity ill ever encounter i miss her dearly but im crying now im gonna js shutup and post ill never forget seeing her 3 times different scenes all each closer and closer to where she was at the last time i got mad instantly irdk why and i just held her bc it was her running up the stairs inside to actual her if tht makes sense i really have so much i could say like how at my grandmas where we prev. Stayed she ran being fully blind as heck like she just knew the place no problem full sprinted upstairs to our old bed plopped right down i got my heart slit deep from her

Attachments