My Cats In Winter

kimberley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats of my own .. Boris is my male cat and charlie my female cat .. About 4 years ago i had a black stray cat visiting my garden on a regular basis .. over time we became friends and he moved in with me, and my other 2 cats excepted him .. I put a collar on him with a disc and phone number hoping someone would call .. but no one ever did .. he was a loving cat and very loyal .. used to bring me mice as present's almost everyday little sod .. but sadly just before christmas last year he developed cancer .. he was a little fighter cause a further 6 months down the line he was still here .. but then the cancer took over and sadly i had to have him put to sleep .. broke my heart .. Well now i have another stray coming to visit .. i first noticed him on my porch sleeping in my cat transport box .. he is pure white and hes adorable .. but my black male cat will not except him at all .. Boris will tolerate him on the porch but not in the house .. Boris stands guard at the cat flap .. Mr White (as i call him) comes to me every single day now .. i feed him and he still sleeps in the cat box . Now the colder weather is coming i have layed a cat bed inside and around the cat box, along with a fur blanket inside and all around the outside .. stopping any draft from entering the sides .. the box is ontop of sponge on a bench outside my bedroom window.. the porch is covered above him but open at the front .. I only wish my cat Boris would let him in .. have i done enough to keep him warm .. now the colder weather is approaching ???

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so nice to want to keep him warm. There are disks made for pets that you warm in the microwave and put under the cat's bed or blanket. They hold heat for a while. That might help get him through the winter. There are also heat retaining thermal blankets for pets. He is lucky he found you ! You could also feed him extra during the winter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimberley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou so much for reading and replying to my post .. your advice will help me in making this little Angels hidie hole a little warmer .. i didn't know they made thermal blankets for animals .. i will be visiting my local "Pet's At Home" tomorrow to see if i can get one .. its getting so cold out now and it breaks my heart to think of him out there in the cold .. I have also noticed he hasn't been done he still has his bits lol .. if i was to get him done would this help Boris to accept him ??? thankyou again for your advice x 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried slowly introducing them two? and is mr white fixed yet? if no that might be another issue and if it gets to cold you could bring mr white in one of your bedrooms until its safe for him to go back out we have a outside cat named Michael not fixed yet and i just started bringing him in all my cats don't seem to mind him shocker lol

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google Slumber Pet thermal pet bed if your store doesn't carry them. Getting the new kitty fixed could be a huge help in getting your cat to accept him more easily. He should feel less threatened by a fixed cat. Plus he won't be able to be out there creating more strays. I hope they work it out.

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i bought a kitty tube for my feral boy. It is well insulated and I hope will keep him safe and warm in our cold, snowy winter. I would suggest not using a thermal blanket or any fabric if it could get wet. Fresh straw might be a better idea.
Bless your heart for taking care of this boy.​

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the heated pet beds are too expensive, you can try my idea.

I bought a cheap electric blanket for my Garden Kitties,

which I keep in a box on a shelf in the garage.

I put another blanket on top of it so I can wash it instead of having to wash

and potentially damage the wires in the electric one.

The Kitties love to sleep on it when it is cold outside.