My Cats Have Fallen Out - Big Style!

GamesJibson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we've just moved to a new area, successfully introduced our cats to the new house and after a couple of days they relaxed and were back to normal.

Today however, our youngest (1 y/o, un-neutered) managed to sneak out and go missing for 4 hours and when he came back was followed home by a ginger cat - almost identical to our eldest (2 y/o, neutered) who is also big, fluffy and ginger.

Before today, they were genuinely best friends with no kick offs but now after today they are both seriously hostile and extremely violent with each other like they have never been before.

The youngest has become VERY hostile and VERY violent, yowling and puffing himself up, ears flat and all.

The eldest has become VERY withdrawn and VERY defensive, hissing and growling and almost like the prey of the situation.

We've separated them so both had time in a room with a feliway calming diffuser and time to wander the house each. We reintroduced and they were grooming and cuddling within half an hour - and then it all went sour again and we had to separate them again and it's not good.

I know separation and a slow re-introduction will help, but I've never dealt with this before and have no idea!

Cheers in advance,
Worried cat-dad and over-thinker,
James

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! A 1 yo un-neutered male is likely to be the source of your problem. Curious if he had a 'rendezvous' with the cat that followed him home - do you know if it was a female? He may be trying to mate with your other cat - would cause some issues, for sure.

Is there any reason why you are not having him neutered?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are scent based, and if the visitors scent is on your cat because they were getting busy, that is the answer as to why it happened. It could also be garden variety re-directed aggression; something scares cat, cat lashes out at a different target. Super common too.

Yes, an introduction process should help. Plain old time should actually solve it, unless they are fighting, but an introduction process could speed things along.

I also wonder why not neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GamesJibson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only reason we haven't had him neutered is because there has been a lot going on in our personal lives recently. Getting him neutered is actually the next plan of action as we've been meaning to do it for a while

Not sure if it's a female or male, but I want to say male - not sure where the hunch is coming from and I must say he's definitely not trying to mate - it almost seems like he's trying to kill our ginger one.

ArtNJ - the redirected aggression does make sense, I just worry that they may not get along like they used to after today

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason we haven't had him neutered is because there has been a lot going on in our personal lives recently. Getting him neutered is actually the next plan of action as we've been meaning to do it for a while
Well, you've gotten lucky. Male cats can be quite a PITA with spraying urine if not timely neutered, and sometimes a late neutering doesn't cure it. Neutering also reduces aggression. It is one of those things you just have to suck up and make time for or it will usually be more trouble for you in the end.

Its usually fine within a couple of days with the redirect aggression if they don't actually fight. If they actually fight, problems can linger and a reintroduction may be necessary.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat that got out may have picked up a new scent while outdoors that your other cat does not recognize. My suggestion for this is to take a piece of your dirty laundry and rub down the cat that was outside with it. This is called non-recognition aggression.

Also you mentioned your cat showed up another cat when he came home. It is possible seeing the other cat triggered re-directed aggression too.

I am going to post some articles on both of the issues. Hopefully there will be some other things mentioned in the articles you have not tried yet.
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight