My cats hate each other, in desperate need for help!

mariand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww.  Cuties!  That is great news.  Thank you for the update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Marian, aw, love it how your cats are slumbering together! So adorable.

I wonder if mine will ever become that friendly with each other. I'd love it but for the time being I'm glad they can sort of coexist with some supervision. I am still afraid of letting them together on their own but soon I'll 'hide' in a bedroom and let them roam about freely, that way I can still intervene if something happens (usually there is growling involved so I'll know things have gone South) but they will get used to not having me around.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy that they are doing better.  My two have never been on a piece of furniture that close, but they have laid together on the floor in the warm winter sunshine quite close to each other.  I don't have any fur flying any more, but the two still require supervision.  They are now very curious with each other.  It sounds like things are really progressing for the cats.

roseanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so excited to read this. I am currently going through the same thing. I rescued a beautiful kitty on christmas but I have an older cat I adopted almost a year ago at home. She wasn't by herself but with another older cat that died, I thought she would be happy with a new cat at home but sadly she wasn't. I built the rescue cat a shelter and put him outside but I felt so bad I brought him in, I kept him locked in the bathroom but had to move him. My older cat has been hiding in a walk in closet, so I fixed it up, put her liter box and food bowl in there. She sneaks out at night and goes into my kids room to sleep. However when she sees the rescue cats she starts to hiss something awful, he just meows but she is totally tensed and angry. I was considering giving away the rescue cat but he is everything I ever wanted in a cat so I'm so torn but now I know....just hold out. I don't need them to be best friends, I just need my older cat to not feel like she has to hide all the time and feel stressed.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My two have been living in the house together since late May.  They didn't have any sight exposure until late July and then full exposure in mid August.  I rushed the process and had a set back thus I had to start the intro process over again.  The second time it worked.  The boys still don't like each other very much.  When no one is home, one of them has to be put away.  We do not trust them alone.  Yet every week they make progress.

Keep working and the results will come.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I nicked Shadow Rescue's idea and substituted a tall window screen instead of the door.  It works.  The problem is my cats are frightened of the window screen so I'm not sure how beneficial it is to the reintroduction process.  I haven't used it in a week because I don't want my cats to associate the fear of the screen with each other.

samantha bell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this wonderful advice! I am the Cat behavior Lead at a rescue and this is exactly what I would have advised. It's nice to know that others are out there spreading the correct info/tips! :)