My Cat’s Half Blind, Anyone Know Why?

SHSLCatLady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So as the title says, my cat is half blind. I’ve had her for about three years now and we adopted her in that state. The shelter said that they didn’t know what may have caused it either. Her right eye is completely fine and her loss of vision doesn’t slow her down at all. Her left eye appears to be blue with a sort of filmy black bit covering most of it. Here’s some pictures of her:

There’s been no issues with drainage or related things and it has never posed a problem for us or her, I’m just curious c:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Eye infections are extremely common in kittens; especially if they are outside young. It could be a complication from an infection that self healed with lasting damage. It could also be an injury that ruptured the eye somehow. Since she doesn’t seem to have any other problems and the other eye is normal I’d assume it isn’t congenital or birth defect related.

It really is just a guessing game though. Someone really needs to invent a cat to human translator so we can ask them what the heck they did sometimes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first thought was "benign iris melanosis," but looking closer, my second thought is, "HUH?" I'm lost, but since it doesn't bother her in the least, and she is obviously a happy, well-cared for cat who could not care less about it, I'll have to chalk it up to the second choice!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A Canadian friend of mine who vacationed in Hawaii adopted a cat with a very similar eye from the proprietor of the complex in which she was staying...one of the famous Hawaiian ferals. This was about 3 years ago and the cat has had vet consultations galore but the results are basically the same as yours....happy cat living a good life.