My cat's eyes are 3 different colors...?

getinthellama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I didn't quite know where to post a question on eye color, so I figured here would be as good a place as any :)

I ended up rescuing a black kitten when he was around 3 weeks old. His eyes were the usual ocean blue a lot of kittens have. They eventually turned to a yellow-ish color, a yellow color with a green ring around the pupil, and now (at about 4 months) he has the green ring around his pupil, the yellow, and then on the outside is this coppery orange. It's really striking to look at.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any idea on what color his eyes might be permanently?

I'd be worried about it being a health issue, but he's been to the vet several times already for his boosters, rabies, feline leukemia test, etc etc, and soon to get neutered. He's a completely healthy, energetic kitten :) His eyes are just funky colored.

Thanks in advance! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

getinthellama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That doesn't show it nearly as vibrantly as it is IRL, but it's the best I can do with my phone's camera and him not being still enough to focus on.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It is completely normal for kittens eyes to go through all these colour changes before finally settling on what colour they will be permanently. At four months she is way to young to be able to guess what colour they will be eventually. I have known cats take up to two years before they get their final eye colour.
Even then cats can have one main colour with hints of other colours mixed in.

Also cats eyes can look different colours in different lighting eg lighter in sun light

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

getinthellama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! :) The overwhelming majority seems to say cats' eyes will be at least in the same color family as the permanent shade around 11 weeks, so that's where I was confused. The fact that there's multiple, defined rings of color at one time just added to it. I'm very happy to hear it's normal, though.

And here's an obligatory pic of him sleeping: