My Cats Energy Has Went Down, Please Help

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so I have a two year old DSH boy and he’s not as playful as he usually would be. He’s still playful. Just not as much. He acting normal otherwise. Eating normal and poop and peeing just fine. Do cats get lazier with age? I know that’s probably a stupid question but I’m a little worried. I took him to the vet and he got blood work and a fecal and everything is normal so it seems. So I figured I’d make an account here and ask everyone.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats go through moods on some sort of cycle - they may be crazy active one day and the next they sleep all day and don’t play at all. The first time it happened I was worried too, but after a while I see a pattern. And some cats do calm down as they age. Sounds like you did the right thing going to the vet, and if he checked out and has no other symptoms I would guess he is in a calm mood.

Less playful is one thing, but if he’s lethargic instead I would seek out a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He isn’t really lethargic. He will play but just not for as long as he used to. He was a rambunctious little kitten! Haha

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
It could be that the hyper energy he had as a kitten is something he's simply aging out of.
You could try something here;
Food Puzzles for Cats

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug
I was just about to suggest that the cat might be bored with the games and toys. There's an article here I read (I think Furballsmom posted it for me at one point) that talks about the importance of rotating toys/games to prevent the cat from getting bored. As long as you've already ruled out health-related issues, maybe challenge him with something new?

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carliesykesss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just might do that :) thanks! Also how do you change what your cat is on here? It says kitten but he’s definitely not a kitten

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Playfulness does really seem to depend on the cat. I have had a couple who stopped playing altogether when they were around two and others who played every day well into their teens. Sometimes all it takes is a new toy, though, to get them going again, so keep on giving him new ones as well as create situations that encourage play. My girl is eight and just discovered how much fun gift wrap tissue paper is. When she quits playing with it I will switch it out with her cardboard “fort” or find something else she likes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The kitten word that you're seeing is based on how long you've been here/how many posts you've done :)
Oh, we typed in at the same time lol