My cat's breathing and low appetite concern me

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the couple days, my cat, Lee Lee, has barely eaten, taking only a couple bites at a time and been breathing like this. He behaves pretty much the same, and every time I open a can of something or pour something, he will go to it, take a few bites, then leave it. He never finishes anything like he used to and it's concerning. The last video is when he went into a deeper sleep, but got back up several minutes later. . . .

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is he eating the same amount overall or less? It would probably be best to call the vet and have him checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he eating the same amount overall or less? It would probably be best to call the vet and have him checked out.
Less in general. Him being fiv+ also makes me worry even more about these things. How did his breathing seem to you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His breathing does seem to be a bit faster than 'normal', but it is hard to tell if anything is going on when you check a cat's breathing when they are awake. If you can count his breaths per minute - while asleep - that information would also be helpful to a vet. Just count each chest elevation (each time it rises) for 30 seconds and multiply by two. Cats breathing at rest can range anywhere from about 15 to 30 per minute. You could also share the video with your vet to see what they think.

Is he currently on any supplements to boost his immune system given he is FIV+? Has he had issues in the past? Has he gone through periods of eating less before? Some cats just end up getting tired of their food and will eat less. It is good that he still shows interest in foods.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His breathing does seem to be a bit faster than 'normal', but it is hard to tell if anything is going on when you check a cat's breathing when they are awake. If you can count his breaths per minute - while asleep - that information would also be helpful to a vet. Just count each chest elevation (each time it rises) for 30 seconds and multiply by two. Cats breathing at rest can range anywhere from about 15 to 30 per minute. You could also share the video with your vet to see what they think.

Is he currently on any supplements to boost his immune system given he is FIV+? Has he had issues in the past? Has he gone through periods of eating less before? Some cats just end up getting tired of their food and will eat less. It is good that he still shows interest in foods.
His sleeping breathing seems fine and his unusual breathing from last night seems to have stopped. He only eats a few bites of anything I put in front of him and then walks away. I've been pushing more food on him too today and overall he's eaten more today than he has in the last few days. His activity level is about the same, with him just sitting around all day but getting more playful at night and early morning. He doesn't take anything for his FIV, which I honestly never knew was an option. He runs to wet food as soon as the can opens, seemingly excited, but only eats a few bites then leaves. He eats softened wet food too in about the same amount and still tries to eat dry food but ever since having his teeth pulled struggles with it, but still insists.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When was he last checked out by a vet? I saw in your previous posts that he has had breathing issues for quite a while now and was diagnosed with arrythmia at one time. I don't know much about FIV+ and the conditions that can go along with it, but it all might tie together.

I didn't look close enough to your other posts - were all his teeth extracted? If not, any remaining ones could be giving him problems now. I mention that because many cats who have full extractions will go back to eating dry food once everything is healed. Is he being treated for the arrythmia?

I don't know about other supplements, but one that is mentioned on this site for immune support is DMG - Vetri DMG™ - VetriScience Laboratories.
DMG ( Vitamin B15 ) for Pet Health | Pet Health | Articles | Magazine (totalhealthmagazine.com)

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate a lot more today than he has in the last few days. However, I noticed he seemed to strain when having a bowel movement and scooted his butt on the floor afterwards

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good that he ate more. Not sure if his straining ties to his breathing or low appetite. But butt scooting could be from poop stuck on his behind, straining causing some anal discomfort, or from anal gland issues. Maybe he has taken in less moisture while eating less, which could have something to do with harder stools. See if you can get him to drink more water or add some water to his food to help with moisture intake.