My Cats Are Smoothie Fiends

jayzsalinger

Cat Mom
Kitten
Purraise
I've only given them small amounts, but I've found I can't put my cup down without one of them trying to stick his tongue in my smoothie! I don't want them to get sick but they really love these smoothies, so could anyone tell me if the following ingredients are bad for cats? Much appreciated, because I'd love to give them little licks as treats but I'm worried about their health.

Ingredients
-banana
-yogurt
-blueberries
-avocado
-beets

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
None of those ingredients are good for cats. Some are probably not harmful in small doses, but others, such as avocado, are toxic to cats. I would stop giving smoothies to them.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats would do anything for a taste of unsweetened plain yogurt. You could also try putting them in cups with a lid (there are even ones that stay cold with smoothie straws.) That way they can't get into it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayzsalinger

Cat Mom
Kitten
Purraise
None of those ingredients are good for cats. Some are probably not harmful in small doses, but others, such as avocado, are toxic to cats. I would stop giving smoothies to them.
I've only ever given them tiny tastes, dipping a finger in and letting them lick. But I'm definitely not going to give them it anymore. I just thought it was strange because they don't seem to care for plain yogurt.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they don't go for goat milk or yogurt, try them with a little plain cream cheese, or more liquidy cat treats - maybe the Sheba broths or Kit Cat Purr Puree treats, or something else similar. Plain meat baby food is another option, and most cats go nuts for that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayzsalinger

Cat Mom
Kitten
Purraise
If they don't go for goat milk or yogurt, try them with a little plain cream cheese, or more liquidy cat treats - maybe the Sheba broths or Kit Cat Purr Puree treats, or something else similar. Plain meat baby food is another option, and most cats go nuts for that!
I'll try those, thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You'll be looking for Gerber stage 2 or beechnut, there's also a Whole Earth brand I think it is, without any onion or garlic. I hope they enjoy :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws and Furballsmom Furballsmom , I'm so with you, wearing a paper bag on my head! Then again, I'm the person who practically gets queasy looking at an avocado! Beets, on the other hand, are great in all sorts of things.

As for plain yogurt, I once had a kitten who was supposed to be fed a little plain yogurt every day when she was taking antibiotics. She loved it so much that she'd knock her face into the spoon each time, getting it all over herself. We named her Yogurt Face!

jayzsalinger jayzsalinger , for our cats, the best treat is Pure Bites, which are just freeze-dried meat. They love them.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure that Beets are on a poison list at some web site titled, "People Poison | List of People Toxins for PushPurrCatPaws"... but I, uhm, cannot find the link.
:)

Milly :bigeyes: had a yogurt phase too. Yogurt Face is a great name!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure that Beets are on a poison list at some web site titled, "People Poison | List of People Toxins for PushPurrCatPaws"... but I, uhm, cannot find the link.
:)

Milly :bigeyes: had a yogurt phase too. Yogurt Face is a great name!
Maybe you just haven't had something good with beets? (I lived in Russia for about six years and grew to love beets so much we grow them!)

And Yogurt Face was a great cat, as was her brother Sticky Tail, who got into something really gunky in the trash that wouldn't wash off his tail.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
My Mom, bless her heart and soul, made the BEST canned beets and then when she cooked them - they were so good. Unfortunately, I never thought to get a/the recipe (If there was one?? This might have been one of those that didn't ever need one since she did them all the time and was probably super simple), and store bought isn't getting it LOL

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom, bless her heart and soul, made the BEST canned beets and then when she cooked them - they were so good. Unfortunately, I never thought to get a/the recipe (If there was one?? This might have been one of those that didn't ever need one since she did them all the time and was probably super simple), and store bought isn't getting it LOL
We usually put them in soup or roast them. If they're roasted, they're good with just some olive oil, a little salt, and maybe some garlic and/or chives. (Of course the fresh ones from the garden taste good very plain like that but store-bought is often a different story!)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm. :headscratch: My mom always made us eat store-bought canned beets.

jayzsalinger jayzsalinger - I'm going to jot down your smoothie recipe and maybe give it a go!

P.S. I see that beets are last in your ingredients list! That means I can topload the recipe with a lot of bananas and yogurt and just have a smidgeon of beets! :)