My Cats Are Sick. I Think They Have Colds. Please Help!

AJ92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats is mouth breathing and drooling. She seems yo be congested. I can't take her to the vet for another two days because of lack of money. The way she is breathing scares me. I don't want to lose my cats. She got sick after the first cat started sneezing but she seems worse off. What can I do til I can get them to the vet?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Cat Site! There are a lot of people here who can help you.

It sounds like your cat has an upper respiratory infection. Until you get her to the vet, go to the bathroom with her and shut the door. Then run hot water through the shower until the room gets steamy. Hold your cat and let her breathe the steamy air. The humid air will ease some of her congestion. You can do this several times a day.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you ask your vet if they would be willing to take a small down payment for a vet visit with the promise to pay the balance in a couple of days when you can? Some vets will and some won't, but if you don't know about yours, you could at least ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AJ92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Can you ask your vet if they would be willing to take a small down payment for a vet visit with the promise to pay the balance in a couple of days when you can? Some vets will and some won't, but if you don't know about yours, you could at least ask.
Hi, yes I've already asked, I'm trying everything I can to keep them going until I get paid. Any suggestions will be helpful. Already started the steam treatments, and hand feeding the sickest one.

bluepine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has upper respiratory from feline herpes. Ive found that Echinacea and Goldenseal work wonders. Elderberry syrup (i make my own) and Lomatium. Alway get NON Alcohol. Lomatium and Goldernseal taste terrible, so I rub a few drops to back of neck,4x daily. Talk with your vet, some are more open then others about alternative meds. Also your health food store can be a big help too. Iam lucky to have a retired vet working at mine. Best of luck

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet was OK with this when I asked about it.
I went and got some PURE saline solution - be sure it is ONLY saline no other decongestants or anything (I used "Hydrasense" for babies), and used a dropper and put 2 drops of the saline solution in his nose, in each nostril. It helped to loosen his mucus and kept his nasal passages moist. I just tilted his head back, two drops each nostril, hold the head up for 5 seconds or so and done. It seemed to help.
Also, keep a humidifier running in the house to keep the humidity level up. Not sure where you live but we have our heat on now, so I know it's pretty dry in the house without our humidifier on.