My cats are ALWAYS hungry!!

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last time we were at the vet, Thisbe weighed 12 pounds, Cushie weighed 11 pounds, and Marnie weighed about 8 pounds, but she had been recently rescued then, and that's been a couple of months ago. She's probably around 9 or 10 pounds now.

If you leave a measured amount of kibble in the bowl for them, they will be okay. Just feed them the wet food on a schedule (I do morning and evening with mine).

I don't feed Fancy Feast -- I use the regular tuna-size cans of food -- but I suppose one can of Fancy Feast equals one serving.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I compromised with my cats... they get fed a little bit less at each meal but they get fed three times a day. Ultimately, they eat a bit more but it's not all at once. Kanoe also won't eat wet food but I've found that because the other two do she's showing more interest and will at least sniff it! I feed about a quarter of a regular tuna sized can of food to each cat per serving... a heaping regular table spoon.

I feed my kids Nutro complete care because Kanoe has a skin allergy and Captain had crystals at one point. They all love it (even Toulouse who is still on kitten food) and I haven't had any problems. However, my mom's cats all had the poops when she switched them over, so if you go to this food go slowly. Good luck!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi

Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely try Purina One or Pro Plan. I didn't realize Purina 'Chow' was basically McDonald's for my cats!! No wonder my girl has a little chub despite the small amount of food intake.

Kai, are you suggesting I cut down the dry to less than 50% even if I switch to a better quality food?
Yes, as long as you're making up the difference with wet food. IMO, wet food is much better for a cats over-all health than dry. Provided you're feeding a high quality wet food. Dry food's redeeming quality is you can leave it out in "feed at will" situations.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that problem with Duke, he is almost 3 years old and 25lbs he is constantly hungry, expecially when it comes to his 1 tbsp of wet food a day he also gets 1/2 cup dry food. He has gotten better lately since I changes his dry food to "Nutriance Diet" it seems to fill him up a bit more and he seems to actually be loosing weight. He still gets his 1 tbsp of wet but he dosn't eat it as quickly he seems to be paceing himself.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting confused.... I have always fed my cats wet and dry food. I feed them science diet wet and dry...... I got a lecture from my vet because of problem teeth in a few of my cats.......... He told me to get them away from the wet food.... I know Frankie my little abby loves the dry food and he isn't getting the notorious abyssinian bad gums. He is getting FAT!!!!

Unfortunatly I don't live close to a petsmart or petco, and the best food I can get within my range is science diet. I used to feed my cats Iams until purina bought them out...... Gosh just when I thought I had this figured out... I still buy the wet food but I have been giving it to them sparingly... The only one who is getting special treatment is my CRF girl.... She loves wet food only... She has a hard time with dry food because she is 17 and has 1 tooth in her mouth!!! Bless her heart...

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I am getting confused.... I have always fed my cats wet and dry food. I feed them science diet wet and dry...... I got a lecture from my vet because of problem teeth in a few of my cats.......... He told me to get them away from the wet food.... I know Frankie my little abby loves the dry food and he isn't getting the notorious abyssinian bad gums. He is getting FAT!!!!

Unfortunatly I don't live close to a petsmart or petco, and the best food I can get within my range is science diet. I used to feed my cats Iams until purina bought them out...... Gosh just when I thought I had this figured out... I still buy the wet food but I have been giving it to them sparingly... The only one who is getting special treatment is my CRF girl.... She loves wet food only... She has a hard time with dry food because she is 17 and has 1 tooth in her mouth!!! Bless her heart...
I can see why your confused-your vet is giving you the wrong infomation! Dry food not clean teeth, as a matter of fact dry food is responsible for tooth decay! Dry food is made up of mostly grain. Grain is a carbohydrate and turns to sugar. Imagine you eating candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Not only that, when a cat bites a piece of dry food the kibble shatters at the tooth tip and does not provide any benefits. If you switch to compelety a wet cat food diet (preferably one with no grains in the mix) your cats teeth will become more healthy in the long run. If you switch them to an all meat, raw diet you will not have any problems with their teeth (except age related problmes which none of us can do anything about).
BTW-he's getting fat because of all the carbs in dry foods.
If you would like info on this, PM me and I'll locate some links for you.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abbycats-
Purina did not buy Iams. Iams also produces Eukanuba. I'm not sure who told you that Purina owns it, but if that is the reason for stressing out your cats and yourself, for gosh sakes feed them their old food again. I am from Dayton Oh where their headquarters is and one of my good friends dad works there. I'm not trying to push it or anything-- but you seem at your wits end and it seems this misinformation is the cause of it. Go to their website and check.