My cats are ALWAYS hungry!!

mrsmeowgi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, a male and a female. The female is just under 10 lbs but she's chunky. My male is about 10 lbs and he's slender. My problem is this: they act like they're STARVING!! I feed them twice a day, about 1/4 cup each feeding, each cat. (Meaning both cats get about 1/2 cup a day). I can't even walk in the general direction of their food or else they freak out, run under my legs and meow. Is this normal behavior or should I be feeding them more??

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi

I have 2 cats, a male and a female. The female is just under 10 lbs but she's chunky. My male is about 10 lbs and he's slender. My problem is this: they act like they're STARVING!! I feed them twice a day, about 1/4 cup each feeding, each cat. (Meaning both cats get about 1/2 cup a day). I can't even walk in the general direction of their food or else they freak out, run under my legs and meow. Is this normal behavior or should I be feeding them more??
What brand of food are you feeding them?

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsmeowgi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They eat Purina. My girl is a very picky eater, she won't eat anything else. She also hates canned food.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats act the same way. I feed them a little more than you do, but not much. Shenandoah likes Fancy Feast and won't eat much else. I have tried mixing it with other wet food, but he still gets to the FF and won't eat the other.

Humble eats dry Nutro Weight Management.

I want to see what other people say, too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old are they??
Unless you are on the natural Pro plan purina is not the best food it is kinda like us eating from the drive thru..

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Purina isn't the best food. Most likely they are defecating out any vitamins they are taking in, and not benefiting from this food. I would switch them slowly to something of better quality. Also, go for one with a protein as the main ingredient. Corn is a filler and they tend to stay fuller longer with more protein.

eckie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my cats are always hungry too despite being nowhere near slim! They want food when I come home, no matter how long I've been out. They also want food eveytime I come from upstairs, even if I've only been 10 minutes. I put it down to them being 'greedy swines'

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina One and Pro Plan, are the only two kibble foods produced by Purina, that are of any quality. These 2 are actually pretty good, considering the rest of the Purina line-up.
I think cats tend to over eat when they are offered nothing but kibble. I've seen a lot of fat cats scarfing down the dry food.

I think you should start offering them some premium canned food and cutting down the dry to less than 50% of their daily intake. If your girl doesn't like canned food, you'll have to experiment with different flavors.
Do this gradually though, as you already have a "chunky" cat, and it's not good for them to lose weight fast.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long do you think it ought to take for them to lose 1 pound?

Is Nutro dry food any good?
I am feeding my cat Humble that.

Shenandoah will NOT eat Nutro wet.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Purina One and Pro Plan, are the only two kibble foods produced by Purina, that are of any quality. These 2 are actually pretty good, considering the rest of the Purina line-up.
I think cats tend to over eat when they are offered nothing but kibble. I've seen a lot of fat cats scarfing down the dry food.

I think you should start offering them some premium canned food and cutting down the dry to less than 50% of their daily intake. If your girl doesn't like canned food, you'll have to experiment with different flavors.
Do this gradually though, as you already have a "chunky" cat, and it's not good for them to lose weight fast.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CHECK PM's! I have the same problem!
Originally Posted by Eckie

Yes, my cats are always hungry too despite being nowhere near slim! They want food when I come home, no matter how long I've been out. They also want food eveytime I come from upstairs, even if I've only been 10 minutes. I put it down to them being 'greedy swines'

kali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know Purina wasn't good! What brands are healthy for my kittens?!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you asked my cats if they are hungry they would nod their heads and say "yes" feed me turkey, chicken etc, let us gourge ourselves!.... The truth of the matter is they are pigs!!!!! That is their favorite time is eating and sleeping!!! The only one that needs to eat more is my CRF baby and in her time she was not a skinny cat...

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told that NUTRO is the best. Humble likes the dry food, but Shenandoah, the wet food kitty, will no touch it. They are both 5 years old.

Originally Posted by Kali

I didn't know Purina wasn't good! What brands are healthy for my kittens?!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of good quality foods out there. I recently changed our cats from an all-dry food diet to mostly wet food with about 1/2 cup dry per day for 2 cats.

I just bought a couple of every brand in our local pet store that did not have by-products and meat was the main ingredient. I tried all of them and the cats ended up preferring Merricks and would eat Natural Balance but weren't blown away by it. So now they get Merricks twice a day and seem to be very happy with it.

The key is to look at the list of ingredients and stay away from foods that have by-products and corn/wheat/grains listed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsmeowgi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely try Purina One or Pro Plan. I didn't realize Purina 'Chow' was basically McDonald's for my cats!! No wonder my girl has a little chub despite the small amount of food intake.

Kai, are you suggesting I cut down the dry to less than 50% even if I switch to a better quality food?

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! You are always so kind and helpful.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

There are a lot of good quality foods out there. I recently changed our cats from an all-dry food diet to mostly wet food with about 1/2 cup dry per day for 2 cats.

I just bought a couple of every brand in our local pet store that did not have by-products and meat was the main ingredient. I tried all of them and the cats ended up preferring Merricks and would eat Natural Balance but weren't blown away by it. So now they get Merricks twice a day and seem to be very happy with it.

The key is to look at the list of ingredients and stay away from foods that have by-products and corn/wheat/grains listed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrsMeowgi

Thanks for all the info, I'll definitely try Purina One or Pro Plan. I didn't realize Purina 'Chow' was basically McDonald's for my cats!! No wonder my girl has a little chub despite the small amount of food intake.

Kai, are you suggesting I cut down the dry to less than 50% even if I switch to a better quality food?
Tlak to your vet... about intake leval

I cant talk for Kai but in general the better quality the more digestable the less you feed..

I dont like by products , corn , soy , chemical presrvatives in my cats dry... wheat , barley are ??able

When I read for my Zoey I try to find one that is a one meat to one grain..

chn meal and rice and herring and veg fiber is her currentone...

I dont like to see chn by product rice corn meat by product barley sorguhm

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

Thank you! You are always so kind and helpful.
ditto Yosemite

before the transition to raw Kandie had a mini pet store with all the brands she had( she is a heavy rotator )

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard that a lot of cats who won't eat canned food, will when it's Fancy Feast. LOL

My girls get 2/3 can of wet food per day plus 1/4 cup premium kibble. They don't always finish it all, but it's there for them.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What size are your cats?
The can of Fancy Feast I use is 3 oz.
1 1/2 cans does not sound like a lot when that is ALL Shenandoah gets!

Originally Posted by Vibiana

I've heard that a lot of cats who won't eat canned food, will when it's Fancy Feast. LOL

My girls get 2/3 can of wet food per day plus 1/4 cup premium kibble. They don't always finish it all, but it's there for them.