My cat's allergies better in fall and winter?

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. Im wondering if anyone has heard of this? Ive taken my cat to the vet and she couldnt find any reason he was sneezing and wheezing so bad. A few weeks ago the temperatures started dropping here in wisconsin. His allergies were so much better. It snowed tonight and he woke me up 45 min ago running around and playing. He seems to be breathing better this morning too. Im the opposite so ive never heard of this. My allergies are bad in fall and winter, minimal in summer. Ive tried different grain free and high protein foods. Nothing works. Except it seems cold weather.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't know if it is but dust mite allergy gets worse when it's more hot and humid. I have dust mite allergy myself and it's definitely worse in the summer.

Also fleas and some other parasites live in smaller numbers when the weather is cold. There are less pollen of some trees.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It makes perfect (purrfect?) sense to me. My own allergies are much less in fall and winter. MOST of mine are dust mites, pollens, and other airborne allergies that are diminished in cold weather. Sounds like that's the issue with your cat. Now, Hekitty, my cat, has her worse allergies in spring, they begin to die down about mid-July, and are gone by August until the next early March.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way don’t forget a cat, just like humans, can be allergic to more than one thing — some of them might be food, some might be airborne or skin contact allergies. All of them suck. (Fellow allergy sufferer I am :hithere:)
Its been a mystery for so long. I wish vets did extended allergy tests like ent doctors do for people.