My cat yawns

sylvanis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys

Whenever I talk to my cat he yawns. Why is this? I can sneak up behind him and pet him and he'll yawn, or talk to him from across the room and he will yawn too. He is part main coon I think (pretty sure) he talks all the time. He knows his name, so I'm wondering about this "yawning" behaviour.

-Angela

courtneyaustin3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that's so odd!!! ;-)
i used to have a laso apso dog, chelsea, and whenever i would talk to her, call her into a room, after she would eat, when she would see her leash, when i would put her on my bed or put her off the bed, she would stretch her front legs in a sort of cat stretch pose. it was soo funny! i think animals have funny behaviors that they are sort of conditioned responses....
sounds cute though....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylvanis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Courtney

I was talking with my friend and she said she read somewhere that when certain animals yawn, its a form of greeting. That would make sence because Java always yanws when i talk to him if i walk into a room or he wakes up from a dream and or i startle him. It's really funny...

My parents had a lapso apso dog, they called him Bently. He had a skin conidtion and would always have to chew on his behind, I guess it was always itchy.

It must just be some wierd behaviour that certain animals have, quirks just like people, some people twirl there hair, some dogs stretch....its all very entertaining though!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our dolly does that too..it's usually connected with a roll over and "rub my belly" motion (yes, our cat likes her belly rubbed). Mom calls it a "smile", I guess a greeting would be apporpriate too.