my cat wont stop purring and when shes not purring shes meows all the time

louise anderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i got my cat about 10 months ago so shes about 11 months old i got her when she was way to young to be seperated from her mother, but i didnt know that when i got her.  She was always very loud and got closest to me instantly, she would cry if my boyfriend held her but not when i did. Loudest cat ever. My neighbors cat doesnt like when Wolverine comes over to play because Jilly is gotten older and calmer and my cat wants to rough house. My cat purrs all the time, im my bed in her sleep eating using the litter box everything, i know purring is supposed to be a good thing but she even purrs when shes just moping around looking for a lap. Only time she doesnt purr is when she is outside stalking prey. And when shes inside and not puring shes meowing, meowing to lay on your lap arm keyboard bed, for food litter changes patting, tuna water treats toys, it goes on and on. My dad gets the most of it because he is home most and he gets annoyed at he easily, will she grow out of this or is something wrong, do i just have a really happy cat? 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she was taken from her mother so very young, I would say she sees you as her mother even more than most cats. Other than that she seems to be a very happy cat.  Has she been spayed?   Rosiemac on here has a cat, Rosie, that almost always has her mouth open in pictures.  You just have a chatty cat.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should talk to some owners of Siamese and Orientals--their cats are just like that, holding a constant conversation with their owners! Some cats of no-particular-breed are like that, too, but Siamese and their cousins are particularly noted for it. :)

I have interacted with a cat which tended toward constant purring after I rescued her--she was malnourished and had been dumped by her owner, and I was probably the first one to feed her in days. At first she purred constantly and yelled at me whenever I came near; later on, she was very vocal and interactive and still purred a lot, but it wasn't constant--it was real communication instead of the original desperate need for attention. So I conclude that she is naturally a rather talky cat, and used her talkiness to remind me that she needed help because she had no experience with owners who could be trusted to feed her regularly and treat her kindly. Once she trusted me, she went back to a less frantic, but still very active, style of interaction, which I believe is her natural style. She is currently staying at a no-kill shelter, where she rules the roost in her roomful of cats.

My two current cats, Christy and Tiny, are not particularly talky--in fact, they only started meowing out loud when they got to trust me and knew I would give them positive attention when I noticed them asking for it. So, really, it depends on the cat what an increase or decrease in vocalization means. More silent cats may communicate more by their body postures and movements than by making any noise, and they can be just as expressive as noisy cats.

Your cat, though--I think she figures you're her mom, and she's a talky, social sort of kitty who wants to be involved in everything you do. If she is cat-friendly, she might like a feline companion to interact with and keep her company when she is alone at home; but it's not necessary unless she actually has separation anxiety. To prevent her from forming separation anxiety, it's best to keep arrivals and departures quite casual, and to make sure she has plenty to play with and look at even if no one is at home.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the others. I also agree a company of another friendly, lively cat would do her (and your dad) good.

Your neighbours do have a cat, but I suppose he is either older or not so playful, so she is too much for him...  Although I suppose they do play some, otherwise you wouldnt visit them togehter?

Seeing the title, I was fearing she perhaps was ill, in pains. A vet visit the only sensible recommendation. But to my great relief I see that is clearly not the case, it is the other variation here.   :)

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!