My cat won't stop peeing on the bed

witkne11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat won't stop peeing on the bed no matter what I do and I can't figure out why. My cat never peed on the bed before a month ago when I tried to change to wood pellet litter. I took it out since she didn't like it and she stopped for two weeks but then she started peeing on the bed again. I took her to the vet and they said that she was fine and i've tried using Feliway, but it didn't work. I tried cleaning the litter box more often and added a third box. I've cleaned all the blankets, sheets, and the mattress she peed on with an enzyme cleaner but she just keeps peeing on the bed!! She doesn't always avoid the litter box, i've seen her use it but she pees on the bed every few days and it's driving me crazy. I feel like i've done everything i can but I can't figure out why she keeps peeing on the bed. I haven't tried to change my litter box setup much since she started peeing. I'm completely at my wits end with this problem.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the bed is the #1 spot for "accidents," we think because kneading the covers beneath the paws feels enough like burying waste in dirt to them. And cats can develop peeing habits. So I think what happened here is that changing litter has led to the development of a habit. Possibility two is that you didn't use an enzyme cleaner on the bed and some smell remains, to a cat nose at least. This is like a big bullseye painted on the bed. So here is what you have to do:

(1) if you haven't already, use an enzyme cleaner, especially if urine has leaked into the mattress. Washing the covers normally *may* suffice, but for the mattress, you might need to kind of drench the spots in an enzyme cleaner. If you can't identify all spots, buy a blacklight off of amazon;

(2) exclude the cat from the bedroom for a few weeks to "starve" the habit. If that is truly impossible, less desirable options would be removing the bedding during the day, or, if you want to fuss with it, you could buy an extra shower curtain and put that on the bed during the day. Neither is foolproof, so exclusion for a few weeks is really best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

witkne11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the bed is the #1 spot for "accidents," we think because kneading the covers beneath the paws feels enough like burying waste in dirt to them. And cats can develop peeing habits. So I think what happened here is that changing litter has led to the development of a habit. Possibility two is that you didn't use an enzyme cleaner on the bed and some smell remains, to a cat nose at least. This is like a big bullseye painted on the bed. So here is what you have to do:

(1) if you haven't already, use an enzyme cleaner, especially if urine has leaked into the mattress. Washing the covers normally *may* suffice, but for the mattress, you might need to kind of drench the spots in an enzyme cleaner. If you can't identify all spots, buy a blacklight off of amazon;

(2) exclude the cat from the bedroom for a few weeks to "starve" the habit. If that is truly impossible, less desirable options would be removing the bedding during the day, or, if you want to fuss with it, you could buy an extra shower curtain and put that on the bed during the day. Neither is foolproof, so exclusion for a few weeks is really best.
Thank you for the advice!! I've tried putting plastic over the bed when I'm not using it, but I only did it a couple of times because I kept forgetting. I'll try to do it more often!! But is it normal for her to still pee on the plastic in the beginning? The few times I covered the bed she still peed on it so I'm wondering if that's just because she hasn't broken the habit yet.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plastic isn't a perfect solution because it is somewhat soft and somewhat kneedable. When I had a bad problem with one cat, they would pee on almost anything that was on ground level that wasn't actually rigid. A garbage bag full of non-food stuff my wife assembled during a basement cleanout, for example. So yeah, the shower curtain idea is one another member suggested that I thought was a worthy possibility, but in addition to being a bit of a PITA, I'm not sure it will work. Tucking it in might help. Since you have already had problems with it, if you can't exclude from the bedroom for a few weeks, how about trying the just toss the bedding into the closet in the morning approach? Of course, that approach isn't perect either, as if you do have another accident, deap penetration into the mattress is much more likely. And its also a PITA to be sure. To me, exclusion from the bedroom for a few weeks is really the only reasonably reliable approach, and I only mentioned the others because I know some people literally can't or won't exclude from the bedroom. Still, a plain mattress isn't kneadable, so there is a reasoanble chance that a full strip of the bed every morning will work. If you are going to leave the sheets on, making sure they are tight, military style.

witkne11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Plastic isn't a perfect solution because it is somewhat soft and somewhat kneedable. When I had a bad problem with one cat, they would pee on almost anything that was on ground level that wasn't actually rigid. A garbage bag full of non-food stuff my wife assembled during a basement cleanout, for example. So yeah, the shower curtain idea is one another member suggested that I thought was a worthy possibility, but in addition to being a bit of a PITA, I'm not sure it will work. Tucking it in might help. Since you have already had problems with it, if you can't exclude from the bedroom for a few weeks, how about trying the just toss the bedding into the closet in the morning approach? Of course, that approach isn't perect either, as if you do have another accident, deap penetration into the mattress is much more likely. And its also a PITA to be sure. To me, exclusion from the bedroom for a few weeks is really the only reasonably reliable approach, and I only mentioned the others because I know some people literally can't or won't exclude from the bedroom. Still, a plain mattress isn't kneadable, so there is a reasoanble chance that a full strip of the bed every morning will work. If you are going to leave the sheets on, making sure they are tight, military style.
Ahh I see. Unfortunately I can't let my cat out of the bedroom since most of my family is allergic to her. I'll keep trying to use the plastic since it's the only option I have for now. Do you think taking out the mattress during the day might work?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is still smelling the urine. Re-drench the mattress with a good enzyme cleaner and let it dry, if you can turn it over do so. I have found that getting a clear plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back really works. It is easily movable and pliable enough. Cut it to length and lay it across the bed nub side up. You would probably have to use several strips. Of course nothing will work if you forget to put it on, make it a part of your morning routine. Leaning the mattress against a wall would work too.

witkne11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she is still smelling the urine. Re-drench the mattress with a good enzyme cleaner and let it dry, if you can turn it over do so. I have found that getting a clear plastic carpet protector with those little nubs on the back really works. It is easily movable and pliable enough. Cut it to length and lay it across the bed nub side up. You would probably have to use several strips. Of course nothing will work if you forget to put it on, make it a part of your morning routine. Leaning the mattress against a wall would work too.
I think that might be the case too. I used Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer on a pee spot and then used resolve after to clean the stain, but I think they ended up mixing which left a really strong unpleasant smell. I will definitely try the carpet protector! I think that would a really good deterrent for her!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The carpet protector sounds like a better idea than a shower curtain for sure.

Sarabismom

Sarabi & Augustus 🥰
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my Bengal except it was one spot on the floor she kept going. The only thing that worked was a scatmat which delivers a static zap. (It’s not painful, I’ve tested it on myself) and it’s just enough to scare them away. This may be an option along with the carpet protector. I also out up a baby gate around the area she liked to go and she’s too lazy to jump over it lol

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a litterbox in your room and cat attract litter? I know people don't like litter boxes in your room but it's better than on the bed.

witkne11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

witkne11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my Bengal except it was one spot on the floor she kept going. The only thing that worked was a scatmat which delivers a static zap. (It’s not painful, I’ve tested it on myself) and it’s just enough to scare them away. This may be an option along with the carpet protector. I also out up a baby gate around the area she liked to go and she’s too lazy to jump over it lol
I've never heard of the scatmat but I will definitely try it with the carpet protector!!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat peed on a blanket on our couch and it got into the foam and even though we cleaned it good he kept peeing there luckily it did not ruin the outside and we are in the process of replacing. he still peed on it even though we had placed a plastic cover on it so think it was residual smell. if we forget and leave a blanket out that is folded up he pees on it i think it is the softness. thankfully hasn’t actually peed on blankets on bed. good luck i know it sucks. we are now keeping all blankets away and not replacing the crappy not so comfy ones on our beds with more comfortable ones even though it’s getting to winter! i would make sure you clean them really good. good luck