My Cat Won't Stop Eating His Litter!!

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh so my cat has pica as I've posted previously and we've had this issue before where he eats his litter when I add new fresh litter. I recently just added a new litter and its blue buffalo the walnut kind. This is the most he has ever eaten of it, he literally won't stop! I go over there everytime and get him out, but he still keeps going back. It's so frustrating. Will this litter be harmful to him?

Thanks!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a vet question. Or check and see if Blue Buffalo has a help phone number or web site you can visit.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might switch to newspaper for a few days until you find out what do do & which litter he can safely eat .... I'm assuming he isn't a young kitten. So then maybe ask your vet about PICA just in case?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
First I'd ask a vet whats safe. I believe corn litter is safe (farm feed stores has a large bag for cheap, non-medicated chick crumbles is what I use)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help/advice everyone!

vynm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow I can sympathize! My cat Augustus also has pica, and would eat his litter whenever I would pour it or fiddle with the box. Originally he was on clay litter, but we immediately switched to a grass based litter. Somehow worse... Whenever I'd pour it, he shoulder his way into the box and take big mouthfuls! He even gnawed a hole through the litter bag to get to the fresh litter! Eventually I just started locking him out of the room when I fiddle with his litter box and weirdly enough that deterred him. He's now switched to trying to eat bathmats.

Is your litter Blue Buffalo's pellet type or the clumping litter? If it's clumping litter I'd switch to non clumping. Since it clumps in contact with moisture, there's the danger of intestinal blockages. Also maybe try locking him out of the room when you change the litter. Maybe it's the stronger smell that's attracting him? Also, every time you stop him from eating the litter, maybe try playing with his favorite toy to try distracting him? That might work if his pica is triggered by boredom.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow I can sympathize! My cat Augustus also has pica, and would eat his litter whenever I would pour it or fiddle with the box. Originally he was on clay litter, but we immediately switched to a grass based litter. Somehow worse... Whenever I'd pour it, he shoulder his way into the box and take big mouthfuls! He even gnawed a hole through the litter bag to get to the fresh litter! Eventually I just started locking him out of the room when I fiddle with his litter box and weirdly enough that deterred him. He's now switched to trying to eat bathmats.

Is your litter Blue Buffalo's pellet type or the clumping litter? If it's clumping litter I'd switch to non clumping. Since it clumps in contact with moisture, there's the danger of intestinal blockages. Also maybe try locking him out of the room when you change the litter. Maybe it's the stronger smell that's attracting him? Also, every time you stop him from eating the litter, maybe try playing with his favorite toy to try distracting him? That might work if his pica is triggered by boredom.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Finally someone I can sympathize with! I'm sorry your cat also has pica, it can get so frustrating sometimes. Yes, my cat Milo does the same exact thing! I've even tried locking him out of the room while i change the litter or just clean it like you suggested. Somehow he still knows I did something and goes right back to it.

Yes, it is clumping. I will change to non-clumping. Thanks for all your advice!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A major reason for litter eating is anemia and/or vitamin deficiency. I realize your cat has pica, but the fact that the cat is going after litter in particular so relentlessly makes me wonder if he might have a deficiency also. Might be worth looking into? I hope you're able to find a solution!