My Cat Won't Leave My Room

emilymcdaniel13

Mommy of Luna and Victra
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so my beautiful black Bombay, Luna, won't leave my bedroom. We got her February 13th, 2016 and she was about 3 months old then. The day after, my parents got a dog, Tank, and he was full grown and we didnt know how he was around cats yet so we kept Luna in our room. By the time the Tank got used to the house, Luna was used to the room. We've tried so many times to get Luna to leave the room but she won't, she doesn't like it. Can anyone help me figure out how to get her to leave my bedroom? She will go outside the room but not far and not for long before she runs back in and hides where she can look out. Please help. We're moving out soon and I don't want her to hate me or go insane.

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try placing a cat tree right outside your door & kicking the dog out for the same couple of hours every day. Encouraging her to leave (though if the dog will not be part of the picture in a few months ... I wouldn't bother. I would just let her stay in your room.) You can try putting things that soak up her scent in your room (like blankets where she sleeps and cardboard scratchers.) When you move put all her scented stuff in her new home base room so she will feel secure (I would even carry her litter box in garbage bag, litter and all so it is already marked.) After a few days you can move her scented stuff out of the room to encourage her to explore.
If you are taking the dog I would work on training the dog first .... then when the dog is calm (maybe after a nice long walk) introduce them. Leash the dog if need be. Expect her to hide. I would tell the dog to sit/stay after 5 minutes give them both a treat, walk the dog out of the room, shut the door ... then repeat daily.

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymcdaniel13

Mommy of Luna and Victra
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!