my cat wont eat

chetc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
about 3 weeks ago my cat Libby who is a about 16-17 yrs old female, about 3 months ago she became a picky eater, i tried a bunch of can foods, all she does is lick the juice on top and walk away, she lost some weight starting about 3 weeks ago, my wife says her teeth a bad, vet does not want to put her under because of her age, he poop was dried and hard as a rock, so i get some baby food squash and mix it some canned cat food and mix it up and put it in a syringe and give her about a table spoon in the morning and in the evening, i started this about 10 days ago, she does not like the idea, but she has regained her weight and seems to be 80% normal, she sleeps alot, she always did. i have this feeling she will not get back to her normal eating habits, so by feeding as i am, will it hurt. she washes herself now and takes her walks around the house ect.

Chet

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an old cat (age 16) with a similar problem.  She needs dental work but I have been afraid to have it done because of her age, although the vet says as long as her blood work isn't bad, which he doesn't think it will be as she is otherwise healthy, it should be OK..  I started getting her various special soft foods (Kroger makes a good canned food -- there's a dry version too but ignore that -- it's called ABOUND.  It's grain-free chicken  (79 cents a can) and has lots of liquid in it.  I pour the liquid into a small bowl for her and add some of the meat and mush it all up into soup.  (I give the rest of the can to my other cats).  She likes it and drinks it and her weight is very good now.  I'm still considering getting her teeth done soon and feel better about it now that she isn't skinny anymore.  Right now she is on antibiotics (Clavamox) and that has made her feel better also.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the two of you get your cats' teeth taken care of. I lost a cat because she couldn't eat. When I tried to check her mouth, it was foamy and her jaws were clamped shut. This went on for weeks. This was a number of years ago, and veterinary medicine has made leaps and bounds since then, but I had a poor vet who suggested nothing. There is a way, which I'm not too familiar with, to brush the cat's teeth. Have you tried that? Crest Pro Health mouthwash is great at killing bacteria, and I don't think a little rubbed on with a finger would hurt the cat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wouldn't use mouthwash on a cat. Cats can't tolerate many ingredients in mouthwash, like the alcohol that is often present.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the question is weighing the risk vs benefit, as well as quality of life. My Sara isn't as old as yours, she's almost 14 though and has several health problems. She has a tooth resorption that is making it not only painful for her to eat, but makes it difficult to give her the meds she needs. The vet I saw today is going to talk with my vet (who is out till Monday) as well as the other vet at the practice to discuss how they all think to best handle this, but his personal thought was to have the tooth extracted.

Unfortunately there is no perfect situation. You have to think about what is best for your cat. I understand being worried - I'm terrified. But when given the options of her having the procedure and possibly dying on the table (worst-case scenario of course) vs her not getting this done and being in pain that will only get worse... I'd rather take the option that will mean she won't be in pain.

catchild

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 y/o female was given Cherisan flea med and within two days her CK was up to 4000 neurotoxicity. She has improved with fluids and syringe feeding but also will only lick the sauce from cans and not eat...until the Vet gave her an injection of B12. Amazing results. for the next two days she ate her canned food and some dry, was more active etc. She has a lot of muscle wasting which seemed to have started when she was on YD for hyperthyroid problems. Dogs are give B supplements for Myelopathy. How often can cat's be give the injection or are there any supplements out there? If I need to syringe feed what is the best food. I understand baby food creates problems.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the Pro Health has any alcohol in it. There's no burn. That's why I suggested it.
The active ingredient in Crest ProHealth mouthwash is Cetylpyridinium chloride which studies have shown to be toxic in rodents and possible diarrhea in dogs. http://dogthusiast.com/2014/10/24/safe-natural-pet-products-arent-whats-really-going-dog-anyway/

Human mouthwashes are meant to be spit out after it swishes around. Pets cannot swish and spit and no pet will hold still for you to use a water pik or sryinge of water to rinse off any residue

There are pet oral rinses that you can safely use. These contain a very small amount of chlorhexidine which is an antibacterial agent. The CET dental rinse is a good one: http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/c.e.t.-0.12-chlorhexidine-rinse/rinse-and-water-additives Pet stores sell other similar dental rinses and gels that can be applied directly to the teeth. Brushing is best but any form of home dental care is better than nothing.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great. I wish we had had that for my two elderly cats 30 years ago. Using this is better than putting them down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chetc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well after a week Libby has made a turn for the better by feeding her with a syringe and giving her Clavamox, she still wont eat by herself, buy syringe feeding is keeping her ticking, she will sleep on my lap and i feel around and there is no pain or discomfort. so i will keep the feeding as i am now, maybe a trip to the vet for a blood test and possibly a B 12 shot as one member mentioned, any comments

Chet