My Cat Won’t Eat While I’m Not Home And I’m Going Out Of Town Next Month.

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Title explains most of it.

I found out from my roommate today that my kitten (8 months old) has separation anxiety and that he won’t eat or drink water while I’m at work.

I wasn’t aware this was even a problem until today, and I’ve had him for close to 6 months now. I’m not sure why she hasn’t told me before now.

I’m going out of town next month and absolutely can not bring him with me. I’m not sure how to handle this issue to begin with. He’s my first cat.

How do I help ease his anxiety?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry that you've just found out about this issue. I've never dealt with separate anxiety in cats before, so I'm not sure if I'll be of any help. But who will be taking care of your cat while you are gone? Will it be your roommate? Maybe you can have your roomie feed your cat while you are still there so that your cat will get used to your roommate feeding him and associate eating with your roommate.

Here are two links that hopefully will help:
Why Does Your Cat Want You to Watch Her Eat? Let's Talk Affection Eating in Cats | Catster
Cat only likes to eat if I'm in the room

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like H himawari 's suggestion of having your room-mate feed your cat starting immediately and until you return home. Maybe start out with you also there, but then without you. Hopefully that will get your kitten eating when you're not around.

TCS has an article separation anxiety which may be helpful.
Separation Anxiety In Cats

Good luck. :heartshape:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think himawari has the great idea there. Start having your roommate feed the kitty. Something yummy to start out with.
I did have a cat who liked me to watch her eat, but I assume she ate when I was gone. I went on vacation for 10 days once and my sitters told me she didn't eat all the time or every meal laid down, but she did eat. And she was fine when I got home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the advice!

She fed him Friday evening and yesterday as well, and he seems to be responding to it pretty well. I’ve been home both of those times, so I’ll have to see how he does when I’m not (we’re going to try that tomorrow), but I’m hopeful.

Thank you again!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most healthy cats and kittens will not starve themselves. So even if the kitten doesn’t eat during the day it most likely would eat eventually even if you didn’t return in the evening. So, if you have any concerns, try a dry run by staying at a friends overnight while your roommate stays with the kitten to see if the kitten eats while you are gone. I am pretty sure it will.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long are you out of the house for work? Does he display any other anxious behaviors while you're out? If not he might not be hungry for those hours. If you feed him wet food he might not be thrirsty either. I retired 15yrs ago so I'm the main feeder/player/groomer in the house. Our boys mostly sleep when I'm out even though my partners been retired for 5 yr and rarely goes out. susanm9006 suggestion to stay out overnight sound like a great idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackintheb0x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long are you out of the house for work? Does he display any other anxious behaviors while you're out? If not he might not be hungry for those hours. If you feed him wet food he might not be thrirsty either. I retired 15yrs ago so I'm the main feeder/player/groomer in the house. Our boys mostly sleep when I'm out even though my partners been retired for 5 yr and rarely goes out. susanm9006 suggestion to stay out overnight sound like a great idea.
I am out of the house for work for 8 hours. Usually between 1-9 pm every day.

He knows how to open doors with levers though, and that is what we have in our apartment. My roommate says when she gets home at 5, that he will sometimes open doors that are closed and he “looks” for me and will “freak out” when he realizes I’m not there. I’m not sure what that means, I haven’t asked. My bedroom and bathroom door are always open for him though.

He doesn’t display any of that behavior when I’m home. He follows me around and talks to me all of the time but I’ve never seen any indication he has anxiety until she said that.