My Cat With Infected Toe

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As if it weren't enough with our sweet Norma-Jean and her "itches" we now have an issue with our little Nell. Something must have fallen on her toe and she went around limping for a day and then the Vet took a look and said whatever got to her she has now got an infection and must have an antibiotic immediately. Clavamox I guess is the generic name and she has been taking it in liquid form by mouth quite well twice a day since Monday. She hardly eats anything caring more for the most liquid part of the chicken pate which is really quite light and loose called Weruva Press Your Lunch. If she is using the litter box (shared with her sister) there isn't much proof in there so I wonder.
She is lethargic and wimpers slightly when I near her to say hello. She finds different places to stay (semi-hiding) I guess? She is tranquil and quiet and sad looking. I wonder how many days she will have this lethargy -- all 10 days of the drug? We opted not give her pain medicine which we were told by the Vet's office would make her very spacey and lethargic, as she is that way already. She has her moments of wanting to be with us up on our bed, which she jumps, which gives us sighs of relief.
I mainly wonder when we can expect the pain to stop. After the 10 days or soon? Or maybe not till weeks after the antibiotic is done, heaven forbid.
She is not eating much at all (probably from nausea)and is losing weight, and I know she needs her strength. It's a real frustrating puzzle.
She turned 14 April 4th 2021 and is as gentle and sweet a cat as there is. Till I see her feisty fun self once again, my heart will remain broken.
Thanks for your couch. My box of Kleenex is now worn out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If she was eating well before all this happened, then I would be willing to bet the Clavamox is upsetting her stomach. Most antibiotics do. The best way to help alleviate stomach distress is to ensure she eats right before or during the administration of the meds. The lethargy is probably a combination of the antibiotic and the reduced food intake.

You said she takes the meds well, but yet you mentioned that she whimpers when you approach her. Could she be whimpering because she is concerned that it is time for her meds? How do you administer them to her?

For Feeby, I use any of the following foods and mix just a bit of one of them with the meds so that I know she ingests all of it. Then I give her a 'regular' meal. It is much less stressful than using an oral syringe/pill popper or trying to coax a cat to take meds in a pill pocket. The first item on this list might also help to get her to start eating again. Baby food meats seem to be a favorite with almost any cat.
1.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
2.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions Feebysowner.
I think you misread my post about her taking her meds. (She refused taking a pill in the pill pocket. She smelled it and walked away.)
It is a liquid syringe that I shoot right into her mouth and as I approach her there is no whimpering at all.
I thought she might even welcome it because she is so easy about my opening her mouth and shooting it right in and she takes it just fine. I wish everything were so easy.
It so happens that she lost the weight way before the accident to her foot happened. She not a big eater in her old age and just picks at it and finally when really hungry, eats. That is the next subject for attention when her foot is better.
I like your idea of the baby food and will try it. Thanks.
She was a big Greenies and pill pocket fan up until she became queasy about eating anything. She tries to eat it, sniffs it, then shuns it.
I am most anxious that her pain go away ASAP. Then everything else will come into play.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What happens if my sweet little Nell won't eat but they say the Clavamox could damage her liver or something on an empty stomach? Is that right ?
I am really stressing out. I am giving her the drug but she just won't eat anything and it is a weekend and I can't call the Vet till Monday. I cannot take her to an animal hospital because she stresses and foams and cannot breathe in the car and I WILL NOT do that to her.
Is there anything I can do to get her to eat something?

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks John Perram.
Been there/done that already.
But didn't try Gerber 2nd foods -- just the Gerber 1st chicken and even put Beechnut beef in front of her but she turned her head away. She did take some Gerber chicken 2 days ago but since then nothing.
I tried tiny chicken pieces from a baked chicken. She shunned that too.
You'd think that after 6 days of the antibiotic she'd be feeling better. Actually she isn't hiding as much now though. She just sits in a new little bed we bought her and she loves it there. I'll know she's getting better when I yell "Greenies!" and she comes running.
Monday can't come fast enough.
Never get sick on a Friday because we're all doomed till Monday comes along. (I always try to make doctor appointments on either a Monday or Tuesday.)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What happens if my sweet little Nell won't eat but they say the Clavamox could damage her liver or something on an empty stomach? Is that right ?
It isn't the antibiotic, not eating for an extended period can damage a cat's liver. It is called hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver. A cat's liver isn't very efficient at metabolizing fat, if they start using their own fat stores too quickly it overwhelms the liver and they get fat deposits on their liver. I agree with what has been said whatever she will eat is good. Most cats will eat baby food. Warming food helps because it amps up the smell which makes it more enticing. Definitely talk to the vet tomorrow.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply denice. That's a relief (I think)

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is 8 days now and Little Nell hasn't eaten a thing nor drank much water if any. I got her to lick a fingernail size of butter from a knife (she loves butter) but that is all she will take. I have tempted her with everything.
The Vet had me take her off the antibiotic claiming it might be making her nauseas for 2 days to see if her appetite would come back. I am to report to him tomorrow (Wednesday) but she is so weak and bony and if we walk near her she whimpers slightly. She just wants to be left alone. And we honor that most times. I know it is silly because she isn't actually sick--it's her toe that somehow was mangled or sliced in some way we'll never know.
It's been almost 10 days now and not much improvement in her behavior. She DID go out on the screened in patio -- her happy place -- and stayed there all day in the sun. But today, she won't move.
I am at my wits end with worry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You need to talk to the vet about a feeding tube. She is already likely in serious trouble from a health perspective if she truly hasn't eaten for 8 days.

Can you get some of the high calories nutrient pastes and see if she will eat those? Maybe mix them with butter.

What does her foot look like now? Is the infection healing? If not, get her back to the vet. With the way she is behaving I would be worried about the infection spreading into her bloodstream.

Last edited:

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need to talk to the vet about a feeding tube. She is already likely in serious trouble from a health perspective if she truly hasn't eaten for 8 days.

Can you get some of the high calories nutrient pastes and see if she will eat those? Maybe mix them with butter.

What does her foot look like now? Is the infection healing? If not, get her back to the vet. With the way she is behaving I would be worried about the infection spreading into her bloodstream.
I just spoke with the Vet's office and a friend suggested using her antibiotic injection tube to fill with water and give it right into her mouth just like the antibiotic liquid. So I am about to do that. Am waiting for a call from the doctor later today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you talk to the vet, ask about an antibiotic shot instead of pills, they are not nearly as impacting on the stomach.

EDIT: You can also give her children's unflavored Pedialyte to help with electrolytes. And, some KMR to give her some nutrients.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you talk to the vet, ask about an antibiotic shot instead of pills, they are not nearly as impacting on the stomach.

EDIT: You can also give her children's unflavored Pedialyte to help with electrolytes. And, some KMR to give her some nutrients.
I just injected 20 ml of water into her mouth and she took it. About an hour later I went to check on her and in the litter box next to her was a tiny bit of litter on the floor so I knew she had used it and there were indents in the box. Hooray. She had her first pee!!!!
I know 20 ml is next to nothing but it's a beginning.

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish to thank all of you who tried to suggest and help me out at a time of real stress about Little Nell.
Sadly, she went to the "Heaviside Layer" today. Her infection was just too much and had spread quickly.
The good thing is she is out of her misery and pain. The bad thing is, ours has just begun.
With gratitude, poivre