My cat was spayed while pregnant.. is bruising something to worry about??

catman2200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got our cat spayed and we found out after that she was pregnant at the time of her operation.. we didn't even know until afterward when we called the vet because she was bruised around the incision and now we're worried that it might've had something to do with the terminated pregnancy. Please someone with more insight help! My wife has been completely inconsolable that we weren't notified of her pregnancy and I just want to make sure she's healthy and there's no potential problems due to this

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not that unusual for vets to terminate early pregnancys. Early on the fetus is not viable. There are already not enough homes in the world for all the cats.

Some bruising is to be expected after any surgery. The surgeon cuts the muscle so a bit of it is to be expected. As long as it isn't hot to the touch, oozing, smelly, or anything else like that it should be okay. Ask your vet if you are concerned about the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm not sure how long you've had the cat, did you recently adopt her from a shelter? If so, they should have informed you about the pregnancy had they known and if it were me I'd suggest calling them to find out. At the very least, I would have expected the vet to inform you when you picked her up and given you after-care instructions.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get that there are way too many already, but not knowing what stage it was in is kind of depressing and I still think that if a cat has an owner they should have been told/asked, etc. Not a fan at all of having gotten rid of e.g. Roe v Wade, but it just struck me as a bit strange to just go ahead with the surgery, tho' maybe it was early days.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that the lack of information from the vet, which I agree was probably not correct, has been upsetting to you. If you did not believe that terminating the pregnancy was the right thing to do, it is understandable that this is concerning. The vet may have thought that you meant to have her spayed, bottom line.

There are two issues here, as has been stated. If the bruising seems at all abnormal, or if the general demeanor of the cat is not well, the cat needs to be treated in case of an infection or complications. Let the vet know that something is wrong.

I have done a lot of work with ferals and TNR and have had numerous pregnancies terminated providing that the vet feels that it is safe for the mother and the kittens are not imminently due. No cat had a problem even though they only stayed overnight at the vet's and then were released.

If your cat does not seem well, however, seek some help for her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS C catman2200 and family. You've come to the best place!
Yes, vets will often spay/abort because there are not enough loving homes for all cats. If it was early in the pregnancy, especially, this is very common, and though it isn't cause to celebrate, it IS necessary and saves not only those kittens from uncertain futures, it also helps the mom cat, and potentially, other cats waiting for loving homes. This is "kitten season" and there are MANY cats and kittens everywhere in need of loving homes. So while you may not feel great about it, I hope that in time you will be able to take consolation and comfort in knowing these facts.
As someone born into a home and family "with cat," I have had this happen with a rescue cat, as well. I was very sad, and there is still a part of me that is sad. In a perfect world, spay/neuter and adoption for life would be universal, and every cat and kitten would have a loving family and home for life.
heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 gave excellent advice/suggestions. As long as you observe and act if necessary, all should be well. Please keep us all updated, won't you?