My Cat Was Not Born To Be Indoors

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always had cats - always one at a time. They were always indoors and I never had problems with it. Until I had my current cat, Lobinho, that is.

The first 3 years were hell, with him crying, peeing everywhere, knocking things off and scratching the door and windows to the outside a lot. He was obviously obsessed with the outdoors.
I spent a lot of money on toys and a huge cat tree, but he'd lose interest really fast.
So I started spending 1 hour everyday putting him on a harness and going for a walk, but that made things worse because he would be even louder after we return home.

Downstairs neighbours started complaining about noises of things falling off, and I was feeling tired because I couldn't sleep properly.

During this period, I started a new job outside of the city and I moved to the countryside.
I saw cats outside and the location was quiet, no busy roads.
After a few weeks of moving there, I slowly introduced him to the outdoors (on a harness), and then finally let him out on his own. I was nervous thinking we would not return, etc. But he did.
... And OMG! What a transformation, I remember that first day, we came straight to me purring - he was sooo relaxed and happy!
I started being able to sleep without interruptions. We were all happy.

Fast fwd another 3 years (Lobinho is now 7).
I can feel that being outside is having a toll on him, for some reason.
He spends his day inside and I only allow him to go out when I return from work for 2 hours (between 6 to 8 pm).
He returns home at ~8 after food, with runny eyes and itchy skin.

He is now on medication (Medrone 2mg for the itchy skin + Fusidic acid for the eyes).
I cannot guarantee that this is due to him being outside, but I have a strong suspicion.

I have been trying to not allow him to go out and he is becoming agitated. Last night he was loud, and I woke up with poop and pee on the kitchen floor.
One day indoors, and he is this miserable.

I can see 2 options:
- Make him indoors again, and get ready to deal with a frustrated cat.
- Allow him to go out, and he will have to be on medication continuously (assuming the problem really is due to him going outside).

Do you see any other options? Do you have suggestions?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call mine my Catuary, complete with a goldfish spa. It is a lifesaver. 24 x 24, with climbing posts and walkways. Brick floor and completely enclosed.
I had a cat EXACTLY like you have, they sound like twins. He lived 12 years outside and it made him extremely happy. We were a week from completeing the catuary to contain him and make him safer when we came home and found him lying on the road. after twelve years we thought we were safe. There are just too many dangers out there to safely let a cat roam outdoors. We came to terms years ago that he would never be happy indoors, but it still doesn't help the heartache. The only consolation I have is that he died outside, where he was the happiest, you can save your heart from copying mine......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. I bought something similar 3 years ago (while I was trying everything to contain him) and built it in the garden. It was half of the size of this one:

He would hiss at me and literally attack me when I was carrying him to put him inside the "catio".
A few weeks later, I donated it to charity. Didn't work. Would it work if it was bigger? Or attached to the property? I don't know.
Also, I am renting, so my options are limited. This is also an important factor, that I need my cat to behave and not scratch the property. Going outside for 2 hours works brilliantly in having him as a calm, well-behaved cat.

The only consolation I have is that he died outside, where he was the happiest, you can save your heart from copying mine......
This is so sad!
I keep telling myself the same thing: "at least he is happy". But only god knows how devastating it would be to lose my boy.

Is your boy neutered?
Yes. But he is still very active and fit. He loves running and chasing leaves, observe birds and squirrels, he loves all these interesting things happening outside.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I bought something similar 3 years ago (while I was trying everything to contain him) and built it in the garden. It was half of the size of this one:

He would hiss at me and literally attack me when I was carrying him to put him inside the "catio".
A few weeks later, I donated it to charity. Didn't work. Would it work if it was bigger? Or attached to the property? I don't know.
Also, I am renting, so my options are limited. This is also an important factor, that I need my cat to behave and not scratch the property. Going outside for 2 hours works brilliantly in having him as a calm, well-behaved cat.

This is so sad!
I keep telling myself the same thing: "at least he is happy". But only god knows how devastating it would be to lose my boy.

Yes. But he is still very active and fit. He loves running and chasing leaves, observe birds and squirrels, he loves all these interesting things happening outside.
Looks like you did mostly everything for your boy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it work if it was bigger? Or attached to the property? I don't know.
Yes, a bigger catio might be better. And, when you say attached to the property, could you actually make a 'tunnel'/passage way leading from a window into the catio? (See pic below for an example.) That would allow him to come and go from it as he pleases. He probably was not a fan of being carried to/from.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a difficult situation! Your boy is wild at heart I guess. I would probably let him go outside if it were me. To me, quality of life is more important and he sounds extremely unhappy inside. If it was some mild pouting it would be okay, but that's not the case with your boy. I only have indoor cats but they're all happy inside.