My Cat Was Away From Home For Two Weeks And Is Completely Different Now.

Pinkbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, one of my four cats came up missing. Crash.

Crash is a year and a half old female who shares her home with three other cats, two of which are her siblings. She is easily the sweetest one of the bunch, shy, a little timid, funny, playful very vocal, and has the best manners.
All my cats are outside and inside cats, very content with that because they can come and go as they please. The only one of them that has ever left the yard is my male cat, he enjoys be bopping around the neighborhood.
One day, two weeks ago, I noticed Crash was missing. After a day or two of worrying and calling her name, thinking she would pop up anytime, I started searching everywhere for her. I drove around looking everyday, posted multiple times on social media, and went door to door knocking with a pic of her, but no results.
I was sick worrying about where she could be, lost, dead, scared, hungry....

Today when we got home, I noticed the owner of the empty house next to mine was working on his house. It had been a good while since he had been there and my husband and I joked that he could be a suspect on the list of people I thought could of stole my cat. So, when I seen him today, grasping at straws, I asked my husband if he would walk over and ask him if he had seen her.

My husband was talking with him for at least ten mins, so I figured they were chit chatting about something else and it was a no go.
Until they both started walking towards me.
My husband says, "Well I think we are gonna get sued..." and they guy says, " yeah, for these", and he points at little cat scratches on his arm, then they both start laughing. I started crying. I knew that meant he had Crash.

So, turns out, Crash jumped into his truck because he left the windows down. When he left, he didn't see her and turned on the music and went on about his business. It wasn't until way later he heard something and discovered that she was in the back of his truck. He had no clue where she came from and thought she was very sweet so he decided he was gonna keep her. He drove home five hours away, and didn't return until two weeks later, today. Thankfully, he brought her along for the ride.

He was very nice and understanding and happily gave her back. I felt kinda bad because I could tell he was attached to her. He named her Destiny and was feeding her all wet food , and she even put on some pounds. He took very good care of her. She looked so healthy and beautiful.

Tonight is her first night home and she is different.

She doesn't seem happy at all to be here. In fact, she seems kinda mad about it. She is acting like it's her first time here, sniffing everything and rubbing her scent on it, which I figure is normal.

She is being really aggressive with all three other cats, which is way out of character for her. They will be doing nothing at all and she will just walk up to them and start swatting them in the face while hissing. She has done that to all three of them, multiple times already. Maybe she got use to be the only feline around when she was gone?

I took her outside, but was really hesitant to because I just got her home, so I followed her around the yard. She noticed and didn't like it at all. She started running from me and it took me forever to catch her. That made her so mad so she attacked my face and made me bleed, then immediately attacked my arm next. Both times she did it, she meowed a real pissy meow I've never heard her do.

A bit later, after she had cooled out, we were inside and one if my other cats was at my front door meowing to get out. I went and opened the door to let her out and Crash came running to go out, too, and I simply reached my hand down because I was gonna stop her from going out,
FB_IMG_1570017928910.jpg
and she hissed really loud at me. I shut the door and she darted off and I started walking to her and she started batting at my legs real fast, just like she is doing to the other cats and she meowed that weird meow.

I've never seen her do any of this stuff. I'm sure she's stressed and I'm trying to just let her be and give her some space but she hasn't settled down and took a nap or anything yet.

So, do you guys have any advice for me?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think she is confused at the changes of environment lately. She needs to get used to the smells around your home again as well as your other cats and you. Dont force her, leave her do it at her own pace, it may take a couple of weeks for her to settle. As long as she is eating and using the litter trays I wouldnt worry too much but I would advise you not to let her outside until she is more comfortable in your home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
V verna davies told you essentially what I was going to tell you. Don't look for her to be "herself" for a couple of weeks, maybe a little longer. She had a LOT of upheaval in her life in a very short time, and now she has to re-learn how to be your cat. Keep her in and be patient. She'll get back to herself and her routine, but on her own time.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Keep her indoors! If she goes outside she might not return home. I wouldn't let her out until she has returned to behaving normally for a week or more.