My cat wants to eat plastic bags!

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread or if this is possibly some kind of health issue, but Goblin is addicted to plastic grocery bags. I cannot leave a WalMart bag in his vicinity for even a few minutes, because he will literally try to consume it. If he gets his paws on a bag and I find him with it, I'll tell him "No!" and he will stare at me and chew and swallow as fast as he can before I can get over to him and take it away. There have been many panic attacks and vet visits because he has consumed large portions of plastic.

He doesn't act this way with any other material or items. He has plenty of toys at his disposal to play with and chew on. Is this possibly indicative of something missing from his diet? I can't possibly think of any food that would equate to plastic! [emoji]128529[/emoji]

Any ideas? Does anyone else have a plastic-loving kitty?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess you'll have to store those plastic bags as soon as they're empty well away from Goblin. 
 Does he go for the ones with stuff in them? 

Mine don't bother with plastic bags if they're just laying around but as soon as a breeze make them move, my kitties pounce on them and shred them to pieces. 
 I also avoid keeping those bags that had food in them. Cats are liable to mistake plastic for treats because they smell like them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Full of random things, totally empty, he is indiscriminate. He just wants to eat them! I'm so scared about him eating them that I'm pretty obsessive about keeping them away but he'll go to lengths to get to them! I guess it's time for me to switch to reusable bags. Better for the environment anyway. [emoji]128516[/emoji]

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love bags, they know how to open the cupboard when I keep them and I will find them all over the kitchen. They don't eat them though so I'm not sure.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitty? I thought my kitten Buster was the only one wanting to eat plastic bags- he is 11 months old and cannot ever be trusted as he tries to eat not only plastic bags, but he also ate the plastic tray that my bird food suet came in.  I've lost count of how many trips to the vet because of him!

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are around 1.5. I have actually caught one chewing on the bag but he didn't get any pieces off. They really don't get into them when I'm home it's only when I'm not around.

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitty? I thought my kitten Buster was the only one wanting to eat plastic bags- he is 11 months old and cannot ever be trusted as he tries to eat not only plastic bags, but he also ate the plastic tray that my bird food suet came in.  I've lost count of how many trips to the vet because of him! :paranoid:
Goblin is almost 5 years old, but he has had this obsession since he was young. I was just reading an article about the disorder known as pica occurring in cats, making them want to eat nonfood items. It suggested that some cats target plastic bags because they sometimes contain gelatin. Interesting.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!   I remember reading not long ago on this site, about plastic bags being coated with something that is appetizing to cats.  I think so the bags don't stick together.  I can't remember what they are coated with.  Maybe someone remembers this thread? 

Anyhow, my Speedy loves to stick her head in the bags, (these bags are the ones from grocery stores).  She will not try to eat a big bag or tear a piece off, thank God, BUT, if a stray little piece of plastic (like the part that was in the handle of the bag)  falls to the ground, she will gobble it up faster than I can catch her.  I have been really careful now to watch for any stray plastic remnant that might stick to the bag.  It reminds me of when we go out for walks in the summer evenings and she sees a moth, she gobbles it up just like she gobbled the stray plastic piece.

I also make sure other little plastic things aren't in her reach, like my disposable contact lenses, I make sure they do not fall on the floor when I am throwing them away.  I also have to dispose of dental floss carefully so she won't get at it.

Is Goblin in your avatar?  He is a beauty!  

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!   I remember reading not long ago on this site, about plastic bags being coated with something that is appetizing to cats.  I think so the bags don't stick together.  I can't remember what they are coated with.  Maybe someone remembers this thread? 

Anyhow, my Speedy loves to stick her head in the bags, (these bags are the ones from grocery stores).  She will not try to eat a big bag or tear a piece off, thank God, BUT, if a stray little piece of plastic (like the part that was in the handle of the bag)  falls to the ground, she will gobble it up faster than I can catch her.  I have been really careful now to watch for any stray plastic remnant that might stick to the bag.  It reminds me of when we go out for walks in the summer evenings and she sees a moth, she gobbles it up just like she gobbled the stray plastic piece.

I also make sure other little plastic things aren't in her reach, like my disposable contact lenses, I make sure they do not fall on the floor when I am throwing them away.  I also have to dispose of dental floss carefully so she won't get at it.

Is Goblin in your avatar?  He is a beauty!  :)
A coating on the bag makes a lot of sense! I've never been able to discern why he's so adamant about eating plastic grocery bags, yet he shows no interest in chewing on any other nonfood items.

I know what you mean about Speedy! Goblin knows darn well that he is NOT to be eating plastic! So he just chomps faster when he sees me coming.

Yep, that's him! Thank you for the compliment! :) I rescued him at about nine weeks old from a drug house that was doing unimaginable things to animals. Unfortunately his litter mates did not make it. :( But he is my baby, and I cherish him all the more knowing what his "life" would have been like without me stumbling across him. We saved each other.