My Cat Walks Strange!

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old cat, Niko has always walked really strange. He has a really weird way for swaying his hips when he walks. I tried to Google it but everything I could find was if they just started walking weird out of no where but he’s done this since he was a baby! I just don’t know if this is typical in cats with hip issues or maybe he’s just a weirdo trying to be seductive any advice or suggestions on what to look into would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he has always walked that way, I am guessing it is just 'him'. I have had/seen cats before that have had a bit of a 'swagger', where their butts kind of sway from side to side.

If you think it is hip related, better have it checked early in his life rather than waiting. He can be monitored if the vet thinks there is something going on. If not, then you have a base line x-ray to use down the road, should his 'swaying' get worse.

comp625

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there video you can post? Does he have any jumping or balancing issues? Does he have trouble hearing you?

Definitely get it checked out. There is a feline condition called ataxia where they sway and may look wobbly. Not saying that's the exact issue Niko has but you can pull up YouTube some videos for comparison.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not have a video right now! I’m not home but I can try to get one! But he doesn’t seem to have any balance issues, he’s actually very agile! At least more so than his very clumsy cat sister, I will take him to the vet to see if it’s a hip issue! FeebysOwner FeebysOwner might be right, he may just be full of swagger! Thank you both so much!!