My cat walked suddenly like she lost control over all her back muscles.

krokodzilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

Just some minutes ago my cat was all fine. But suddenly she started to looked very strange and when she started walking, she suddenly lost control over all her muscles in her back feet and fell constantly over and walked very skewed. This lasted for some minutes and after that she was all back to normal.

She is pretty old, around 18 years. She also sneezes alot lately and had some trouble lately with walking, perhaps that there is some connnection with it?

Does anyone know what this might be? Tomorrow I am going to the vet, because it is closed at this moment. But I would like to hear some advices or suggestions already.

Thanks!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like ataxia.  Let me pull up a video for you done by Dr. Chris about this very thing.  If this is what your kitty is doing, then she needs to see the vet.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

krokodzilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, thansk for the video. It was similar to that but the wierd thing is that everything is back to normal now. Just afraid that it will come back. So tomorrow I am going to the vet for a check up to be sure. Just wanted some infor, crying so much right now.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey, thansk for the video. It was similar to that but the wierd thing is that everything is back to normal now. Just afraid that it will come back. So tomorrow I am going to the vet for a check up to be sure. Just wanted some infor, crying so much right now.
You're welcome!  That's the first thing I thought of when you said he was falling down.  So, yeah, I'm kinda wondering if it's just coming on or if it's something different altogether.  Zack, the kitty in this video was about 19 at the time, so it could be something similar.  Maybe you can show the vet this video tomorrow.  I'm glad your kitty is back to normal now.  Hope kitty is ok til the vet visit!  Keep us posted, please! 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could be blood clots. Definitely recommend a vet visit.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
how is your kitty now?

Does the feet feel cold to the touch? the tail? hopefully no blood clots or anything like that.

They may want to run bloodwork on your cat. also how is the pee n poop doing? is she eating ok?

I have a cat who is almost 18 too and this summer heat has been horrible on her.

are you in airconditioning or is it hot?

if your kitty is getting too hot from the weather-you can use cool clothes on her paw pads and stomach to help bring down overheating temperature.

you can massage the legs/tail to make sure blood flow continues.

blood clots can be very painful.

how is the color of her gums/tongue? the color of her skin by her ears=should be light pink.

hydration? pick the skin up at the base of her shoulder/neck and pull it up gently and let it go. if it tents then she is dehydrated and will need vet care=they can do sub fluids right at the clinic-this will help make her feel better.

you can also touch her gums and if it is slippery then they are hydrated-if your fingers stick and feel tacky then she is dehydrated.

while you wait you can=rub the legs-make sure they stay warm-give syringes of cool water to keep hydrated.

let us know how she is doing.

krokodzilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey thank you all very much for the replies. really good advices that I didn't think of. It is really hot these days around here, perhaps that could be a cause. I will try to cool her down. Now I am just stitting with her all the time and making her comfterble. But now she is jsut perfectly fine. She just made a huge jump from the wall to the balcony, like if nothing happend. She did have some bladder infections lately because of her back legs are weakend and thus holding in her pee while peeing, but that i all better now.

Tomorrow morning I am going to ask if she has blood cloths maybe, and pay for a blood test jsut to be sure. And I will show the vet the video, ebcause it was pretty similar. Although her eyes looked like she was on drugs. Is there some kind of food cats can eat by accident that make them go like on drugs? We have no drugs at home, but maybe some normal food can trigger her behaviour?

thanks again all for the replies they really help me calm down :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I don't know what that means if she looked like she was on drugs. I'm kind of wondering if it was a type of seizure.  Did she drool at the same time?  I have not heard if cats can have TIA's like human's do - small strokes where it lasts just for a time then recovers, anyone else know?

Do you know if she has a murmur?  Well, anyway no matter what it is, I'm glad she's going to the vet soon.  I would keep a cell phone nearby so you can shoot a video if it happens again to show the vet.   

Last edited:

krokodzilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just came back from the vet. She said it was most likly a stroke, so I asked for a thorougly blood research if it is heart related or perhaps the thyroid and I will get an answer within a week. For the rest she said her health condition is perfect atleast. Just need to wait on the heart results and rest of the blood results :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say how to treat the stroke? Or is he just going to wait for the bloodwork and go from there?

jaxtabby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The blood work should tell if it is a stroke or not.

krokodzilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Indeed the blood work should tell if its related to the hearth or blood vessels or anything. From how she heard my story she most likely thought of a stroke. But I asked her if they can research the blood on everything (kidney's, liver, sugar, trychoid, heart etc.). I'll keep the results posted up for the onces interested.

krokodzilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got the results back from the vet. She has serious kidney failure and some deviation in her heart. She seems perfectly fine now and she even plays and runs enthiousastically. Although I guess cat's don't show easily that something is wrong with their health. Got special food for the kidneys and further there is nothing much to do about it then giving some meds to reduce blood pressure. She's a pretty old cat already. Thanks all for helping though :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I'm really sorry!  I hope for the best for the old kitty girl.  It sounds like she doesn't read labs so maybe she will fool us all.  

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can help by feeding wet food to increase moisture to the kidneys. They can show you how to do subfluids at home. This will make her so much more comfortable-there may be a reduced amount to give due to heart issues but it is doable.

Usually fluids are given every 3 days up to daily depending on the severity. The fluids will help her kidneys flush out the things in the blood stream.

My angel Floey loved her fancy feast slurry. I only bought pate style=meat loaf style and mash it with a fork then add a can of water to it until its pudding like. This really helped keep her comfortable in her last year of her life.