My cat wakes me up every hour from 1am with worried meows

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

My cat humphrey has always been super good about leaving me alone at night. The only times he's ever come in to wake me is for cuddles at around 4am and then once he's had enough, he'll go out into the living room and stay there all the way til morning time.
This was a good arrangement and worked for me.

For some reason, he's started to come into my room past midnight. I noted the times 1.15am, 2.51am and 5.15am. This has happened randomly out of nowhere and started from wednesday this week. It is so disruptive because i cannot have a smooth sleep and keep getting woken up. When he comes in, he jumps onto the pillow next to mine and meows really sad, worried sounding meows.

I try to pet him and get him to calm down which works for a short while but then he'll either bolt out of the room as if somethings spooked him (nothing happens to do this, its dead silent) To me it sounds like an FHS episode, im thinking about closing the door on him for bedtime going forward, but it is so sad for me to do this coz i love when he comes in for cuddles

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
somethings spooked him
Cats are able to detect sounds and smells far beyond our capabilities.

Depending on whether you live in an apartment or a house, it could be a human or animal baby, a new animal in another apartment or animals or people outside.

You could try a sound machine or a fan for a similar muffling effect (with the air flow directed so it doesn't bother him), or cat music at a very low volume.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fact that he comes in every hour or two, would you say this is a bit OCD'ish? He has been diagnosed with FHS and has been prescribed Clomicalm and also gaba...