My cat the glutton

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously.
Last week he ate 5000 mg of fish oil behind my back.
This morning, he set up to eat the eggshells I had set aside to dry. Not joking. The eggshells. Entire. Not yet ground.
I'm changing his name, from Feloro (aka feline de oro) to Glutton.
Do your cats also exhibit such behavior at the beginning of their raw journey? Is there something I'm missing maybe?

(The kitchen has no door, hence there is no way of preventing him from entering while I'm at it with the meat.)

Attachments

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in the kitchen cutting up meat and boiling water and other things, lock your cat in any other room you have. Leave him in that room no matter how he howls until you finish working with the dangerous - boiling liquids and knives are dangerous -- things. No matter how unhappy he is in that room it's better than him being burned or scalded over most of his body. Those accidents are not just painful for the cat, but unless you have a good bit of money you probably won't be able to pay the vet to fix the injuries and will have to PTS your cat.

To help you stay strong in keeping him locked in another room imagine what it will be like catching him when he's totally freaked, clawing, biting, not recognizing you, and screaming in pain. Think of how it will be calling the vet and driving there with him screaming in pain. Locking him out of the kitchen is not a bad or evil thing. It is a sign of how much you care about hin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the tip!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a spare litterbox filled with water to create a moat that Krista would have to cross if she wanted to get to the prep area where I turned whole fryer rabbits into cat food. Eventually. Butchering the rabbit was just the first step of a two day procedure. One paw into that water hazard and she would say, "okay, I guess I can wait." I always cut up a small piece of leg meat when I was done and served it to her as rabbit sashimi. She didn't have to wait until the chopped meat froze, and I could grind the frozen meat to get her treat.
IMG_3537.JPG

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in the kitchen cutting up meat and boiling water and other things, lock your cat in any other room you have. Leave him in that room no matter how he howls until you finish working with the dangerous - boiling liquids and knives are dangerous -- things.
You've inspired me to do this.

My cat is right beneath my feet whenever I am cooking something, in my tiny kitchen. My sink and countertop are on opposite sides, so I am moving things back and forth, sometimes holding knives and hot pans/pots. I often worry about things like "what if I dropped this knife?"

My reaction until now has always been to make sure I have a firm grip on everything before I move it. But it makes much more sense to lock my cat in the bedroom. I'd have to get another litter box for that, but it's a good idea.

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes thanks for asking!
I think that he’s gotten more used now to the fact that we’re going to eat good from now on, and he isn’t that impatient any more. The past couple of times I was preparing their food he was either sleeping or casually coming by to check how I’m doing and to get a treat.
I have no real possibility to lock him in another room (weird small 1-room flat with a bathroom “corner”), but again I’m not boiling any water and the cutting area is very confined, so it’s all good now!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let's just say that my raw-fed Desmond consumes his meals with extreme enthusiasm.

He "destroys meals" (which almost always contain some edible bone) more than the eats them. His behavior has thoroughly undermined my preconception that all cats are finicky eaters. He's like a dog. LOL

He does seem to understand that leaping onto counters during meal prep is verboten, but I have no trust in what might happen when I'm not around.

Bill

Last edited:

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
If you don't mind my asking, what recipe are you using?
My recipe?
For 1kg muscle meat (composed of 3/4 turkey and 1/4 chicken) I add 2 boiled eggs, 50gr chicken liver, 100gr chicken hearts, 50gr kidney (I found a butcher that sells lamb kidney), 6gr powdered egg shells (to balance the calcium/phosphorus ratio), 5000mg fish oil (for omega 3), 400 IU vitamin E, 25mg vitamin B complex, 2000mg taurine and 2 glasses of water.
I pack it in small tupperwares in the freezer. And when I give them their portions, I usually add some taurine, beer yeast (vit b are water soluble so there is no issue with giving too much) and 50 µg iodine (there is no lite iodized salt where I live). Once a week I add the content of one additional omega 3 gell (old cats do need some more!) Hope it helps?