My Cat Swallowed A Piece Of Metal And Be Operated On. I Need Help, Please!

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One weeks ago my cat swallowed a piece of metal which breaks from his toy. My vet told me to wait and drink my cat olive oil regularly but it did not work, metal did not move and my cat had an operation on Thursday.

there are a few things I am curious about, will this surgery restrict the movements of my cat in the future? and most importantly, how should I protect the sutures? what supplements should I use for the intestines to heal quickly after the operation?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure that he will need to have some restrictions on his movements for a few weeks after surgery. No running, playing, jumping and climbing. those types of things, hard to keep a cat from doing, but it is important to try. Maybe restrict him to a bedroom or part of the house that he cant play a lot?

I would go over this all well with the vet, before you bring him home. He will most likely need a cone to prevent licking the suture site. there are some that work with a cat collar. there are some nicer inflatable types you can buy. you will want to have something to use, before he comes home.

I personally would not use any supplements, unless it is something the vet recommends. You will also want to talk to the vet about what you need to feed him when he comes home. I am guessing an easy to digest wet food?

maybe a low sided cat litter box, so that he doesn't have to jump in an out, easy access?

Best of luck to him, and you. Please do keep us updated on how it goes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that the operation went well. You can ask the veterinarian if s/he recommends any soothing herbs such as slippery elm and marshmallow root or if it is better to leave things alone. Please keep us updated on how your kitty is doing.
And please alert others here about the toy - it is a hazard to kitties. Hopefully, your government has a department of consumer affairs to handle a complaint. And please let the toymaker and the seller - the next kitty may die if the same thing happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sure that he will need to have some restrictions on his movements for a few weeks after surgery. No running, playing, jumping and climbing. those types of things, hard to keep a cat from doing, but it is important to try. Maybe restrict him to a bedroom or part of the house that he cant play a lot?

I would go over this all well with the vet, before you bring him home. He will most likely need a cone to prevent licking the suture site. there are some that work with a cat collar. there are some nicer inflatable types you can buy. you will want to have something to use, before he comes home.

I personally would not use any supplements, unless it is something the vet recommends. You will also want to talk to the vet about what you need to feed him when he comes home. I am guessing an easy to digest wet food?

maybe a low sided cat litter box, so that he doesn't have to jump in an out, easy access?

Best of luck to him, and you. Please do keep us updated on how it goes.
Thanks for your comment and whishes:) I brought him home today and he has an collar to prevent licking the suture side and my vet told me that this collar will stay untill this Thursday -although ı think its early- and also said, suture will melt when he start to licking. I restrict her space to a bedroom he can use everything he needs and he will be safe because when we came home, he tried to jumps desk:( He seems normal, eating wet food. I wil continue to share our story...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
glad he is doing well. I dont think the collar will hurt to stay on a bit longer if you want, you can ask your vet. and yes, even when they are hurt and shouldn't they still try to jump run and play.. little stinkers. Glad he is home now, and yes do keep us updated.

post a photo when you get time. looks like a cute little gray fuzzy kitten?

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad that the operation went well. You can ask the veterinarian if s/he recommends any soothing herbs such as slippery elm and marshmallow root or if it is better to leave things alone. Please keep us updated on how your kitty is doing.
And please alert others here about the toy - it is a hazard to kitties. Hopefully, your government has a department of consumer affairs to handle a complaint. And please let the toymaker and the seller - the next kitty may die if the same thing happens.
I will ask tomorrow when ı call him, thanks:) Indeed, it was a very common cat that name is fishing line cat toy so, everybody should be carefully because when these toys break, cat can be swallow their tiny pieces like my boy.

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
glad he is doing well. I dont think the collar will hurt to stay on a bit longer if you want, you can ask your vet. and yes, even when they are hurt and shouldn't they still try to jump run and play.. little stinkers. Glad he is home now, and yes do keep us updated.

post a photo when you get time. looks like a cute little gray fuzzy kitten?

He is a 5 month olds baby and same as you describe it:)

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks he is really so cute if does not have suture, ı would eat him right now In addition, we are staying a bedroom together and he start to try playing but ı don’t allow him also he is eating wet food and wants more we need time to heal sutures in intestine...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he will try to play, even with the pain and the sutures, just dont play with him yet, try to keep him calm, its really hard for a kitten. Thats part of the reason mine had to stay at the vet, in a cage for 2 weeks with one of her surgeries, she would not quit playing hard. Follow the vets instructions as best you can and i imagine he will be fine. If any questions on how he is doing run him in for a vet check.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the vet recommending a heat pad to lie on? The heat might be soothing and encourage him to rest on it. I use only the K&H 4w heated pad for pets - I have even used it for my feet during gout attacks. It is a more subtle warmth than a human heat pad. Or you can microwave a rice or cornmeal sock - I prefer cornmeal because it is softer and works as well (be careful not to overheat and burn the sock - I heat in 30 second increments. Or I "stir fry" the cornmeal and spoon it into the sock using a canning funnel or putting the sock in a tall canning jar and stretching the sock over the rim. Broccoli rubber bands work well to keep the sock open on the rim of the jar).

Berlinecc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the vet recommending a heat pad to lie on? The heat might be soothing and encourage him to rest on it. I use only the K&H 4w heated pad for pets - I have even used it for my feet during gout attacks. It is a more subtle warmth than a human heat pad. Or you can microwave a rice or cornmeal sock - I prefer cornmeal because it is softer and works as well (be careful not to overheat and burn the sock - I heat in 30 second increments. Or I "stir fry" the cornmeal and spoon it into the sock using a canning funnel or putting the sock in a tall canning jar and stretching the sock over the rim. Broccoli rubber bands work well to keep the sock open on the rim of the jar).
Vet didn't say anything about a heat pad but it seems good to calm him. I should check this heat pad, thanks! :)