My cat super skittish need some help

catlover888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat Gets Scared When I Try To Pet Her,Take A Pix, When She Sees People,And When She Hears Any Noise I Need Some Help

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long has she been with you? What is her history? Has she ever been abused or traumatized? 

My advice - do not force her into anything, Have a safe place for her where she can go to relax. Give her some relaxing remedies. 

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Has she always been like this?

I agree with giving her a 'safe' place. Somewhere where she feels safe.   How skittish is she? Does she just run and hide when someone comes over or you try and pet her? Does she eventually come out and sit near you? 

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind, that some cats (esp. if their origins are feral) are very skittish by nature - it is a survival mechanism.

Things you can do to minimize the skittishness:

Play talk radio/TV when you are not around.

Get all the way down on the ground - lie down and put out your arms - let her approach/sniff your hands and face.

Pet her when you feed her.

Offer her treats - place the treats near you and then, once she seems cool with that, on your lap/shoulders.

Have people over - have them ignore her while you lure her out with treats and possibly toys (Da Bird can be irresistible). Work up to the strangers offering treats and waving the toy around.

Edit: Very important: Don't ever force the kitty out of hiding - this will definitely make the hiding worse. And I agree to give her safe places to hide - and keep her litter box in an out of the way place. Let her approach you/strangers at her own pace. Be patient. It may take YEARS.

Another suggestion - clicker training.

Last edited: