My Cat Suddenly Ran Into The Room And Squatted But Sprayed On Couch, Help

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning! Something strange that Larry did. I was sitting in the living room watching tv when Larry bounds onto opposite couch suddenly and squats but only sprayed on my couch. I am very frustrated as we JUST replaced our couches because he peed on our last two. This cat has just been tested for parasites like tri- trich. He’s been going to the vet almost monthly. He has a clean bill of health!! I changed his box right after just in case this was the issue. It wasn’t dirty!!! I’m so frustrated. Any suggestions on why this may happen? Or how to prevent it! I can’t keep replacing couches! We have a baby on the way and the stress of these things are keeping me awake and am feeling sad stressed...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when a cat acts like that they are trying to let you know they have a UTI. I know you said he has a clean bill of health, but if it happened out of the blue, that's what I would suspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is this something hat requires medication? Surya?

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He squatted like a pee, but he sprayed horizontally like a spray. He’s fixed...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they get blocked up with crystals in their urethra, they can't pee, they spray. Watch him to see if he can pee. That's what happened with one of my cats. But of course it could be something else, that's just what I know of. If he has a UTI it does have to be treated immediately by a vet. I think my cat had to take pills and wet food was recommended. Make sure he always has clean water to drink.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just talked to my vet about it. He thinks it’s a behavioural thing. He said a urinalysis is gonna cost me $89. I just spent $230 on a fecal test! :headshake:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlene Giles Charlene Giles - Best guess: "we have a baby on the way," is probably the answer. Bengals (and all Hybrids) are known for spraying, and owed to their wild bloodlines, are much more territorial than domestic cats. Larry undoubtedly knew that you were pregnant even before you did, and he's just letting your soon-to-be that it's his house and his sofa.

You've never mentioned his filiality, but even many Bengals - including neutered males - beyond the F³ generation are prone to spraying. Perhaps Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico would weight in here, but I'd suggest that you read through this:

Do Bengal Cats Spray? - Bengal Cat Club

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm glad he's not sick. Did the vet recommend anything? When my cat was stressed the vet recommended a feliway diffuser. I also gave him extra love and attention.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they get blocked up with crystals in their urethra, they can't pee, they spray. Watch him to see if he can pee. That's what happened with one of my cats. But of course it could be something else, that's just what I know of. If he has a UTI it does have to be treated immediately by a vet. I think my cat had to take pills and wet food was recommended. Make sure he always has clean water to drink.
I think that may be something I should get checked anyways surya, that makes sense

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my vet recommended Feliway. I have another just store bought pheromone spray. I suppose I’ll have to try Feliway. 1CatOverTheLine, that was an eye opening article. This I did not know about Bengal cats. Even knowing for a while that I am pregnant could cause this?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my vet recommended Feliway. I have another just store bought pheromone spray. I suppose I’ll have to try Feliway. 1CatOverTheLine, that was an eye opening article. This I did not know about Bengal cats. Even knowing for a while that I am pregnant could cause this?
Charlene Giles Charlene Giles - Anecdotally: I have a Friend with three (neutered male) Bengals (F³s) who's been pregnant four times since she got them. In every case, they began began spraying when she was roughly 16 - 20 weeks along in her pregnancy.

Cats know a great deal more than that for which we give them credit.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:flail:Hahahahaha surya!!! That’s funny I was just thinking that might be a funny way to prevent it. But how would the cat pee with that on?

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:think:I wonder if there is an increase in estrogen or another hormones that heightens around this week of pregnancy...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my male cat was spraying because he had a UTI, the vet gave him an antibiotic shot and then I had to give him an antibiotic liquid in his wet food for 10 days. It cost me $100 in all at the low cost clinic, but they didn't do tests, they knew what it was by me describing the symptoms. He was able to pee right when he got home after the antibiotic shot, no more spraying. Increasing wet food can help too.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad your kitty was relieved! I’m going to try Feliway for now, and maybe do some research... there is a few things to think about anyways.. you are all so darn helpful!!!

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, unfortunately, as 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine mentioned, having bengals is not always a bed of roses. Even the most well behaved one can have its wild instincts waiting to show up at the worst possible momment. Your best friend now is an enzime cleaner... and a husband willing to use it everywhere it is necessary. A black light is also a good friend at this point.
Discarding a UTI is always a good idea, and therefore trying to keep your cat at at least an 80% of wet food is a must.

Charlene Giles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Alejandra Rico, I think those are all going to become a routine thing to keep on hand. About wet food tho, my bengal won’t eat wet food or even raw food. No matter what!!! He has food allergies and is currently testing out different prescription cat foods from my vet to find one that will finally relieve his upset belly and give him solid poops. My vets first recommendation was to put him on raw or wet food. We have had no success for 4 months! I had to give away my food cuz I just couldn’t keep buying food that was being wasted... he’s quite stubborn. My husband has been the most patient with having Larry go through this process. He constantly reminding me that Larry is a cat and this what cats do.