My Cat Stopped Meowing? Is That Bad?

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
420FF40C-AA5A-43CA-ACC3-4939E0C814A1.jpeg
D1967B3E-7DE9-45E5-8E05-05ECF90DB46E.jpeg
So yesterday I observed that my 4 year old cat, Chester, opens his mouth but no meow comes out. This is strange because he isn’t very vocal to begin with, but for him to stop suddenly I’m very concerned. (bottom image)

I also have another cat, she’s pregnant, and she’s making such weird noises these last few days. It’s kind of like the noise a spring in a cartoon makes mixed with a very low, demonic meow, and it only started a few days ago... she also sometimes opens her mouth and no meow comes out but other times she does meow, so it isn’t the same case as Chester who isn’t at all. (top image)

I am considering calling the vet if both continue...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Gee whiz, they are gorgeous!!
My boy will sometimes give a silent meow, but in your female kitty's case those are some amazing sounds you're describing.
I don't know, their behavior could be related to her being preggers, but...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Chester is my buddy and Noir is a rescue I took in a few weeks ago.
Just now my boy Chester let out this low, deep growl as if he was trying to clear his throat. I’m wondering if he’s congested or his throat is sore?
I don’t know if it’s because she’s pregnant or not because she’s only a few weeks along, probably 4 if I’m making a safe guess, and I’ve never heard such a weird noise. It honestly sounds so demonic!

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not. The kitties I’ve rescued did come from outside but I took Noir in over a month ago, and before I let her out in the house she went to the vet for a check-up and we had her first litter of kittens, all rehomed now, who we kept separated in a cage because they had upper respiratory infections and needed medication. But I don’t have any cats that regularly go outside.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What I meant was roaming strays or ferals, or some other type of animal that would cause your indoor cats to feel threatened and protective especially with kittens coming, which would cause the gutteral growling of your kitties. In other words your cats are saying "stay away" to whatever they are detecting outside.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! What I meant was roaming strays or ferals, or some other type of animal that would cause your indoor cats to feel threatened and protective especially with kittens coming, which would cause the gutteral growling of your kitties. In other words your cats are saying "stay away" to whatever they are detecting outside.
Oh! I know there’s a few cats that run around since I live in an apartment complex, one is my neighbors outdoor cat and I’ve seen two others. She could also possibly feel threatened by the other cats I have. Skye, the one who’s due any day now, used to hiss at everyone but now only really fights with Noir, the other pregnant momma who isn’t as far along. They don’t like each other but are fine with everyone else.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she's pregnant, and not in heat? I have to say that a cat in heat howling could be described as "demonic"! :lol:
I didn’t even think of that! She can still go into heat even if she’s pregnant? I have heard cases where cats can lose the kittens they had because they were in heat and got impregnated by another cat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats do show some signs of heat while pregnant, but I was asking if you're SURE she's pregnant. If you think she's 4 weeks along, and you've had her indoors for a month, that means she would have just gotten pregnant right before you found her. And if she was outside all the time, it would be unusual for her to get pregnant this time of year (usually they don't go into heat after the days get shorter, although artificial lighting can mess that up). So maybe, hopefully! she isn't pregnant, and is just in heat.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats do show some signs of heat while pregnant, but I was asking if you're SURE she's pregnant. If you think she's 4 weeks along, and you've had her indoors for a month, that means she would have just gotten pregnant right before you found her. And if she was outside all the time, it would be unusual for her to get pregnant this time of year (usually they don't go into heat after the days get shorter, although artificial lighting can mess that up). So maybe, hopefully! she isn't pregnant, and is just in heat.
I rescued her about a month ago with four of her kittens who were around 8 weeks at the time. When I took her into the vet they said they could feel lumps but without an X-ray they couldn’t completely determine whether she was pregnant or not, but it was possible. Her belly does seem to be showing and her nipples are still showing that she’s pregnant. So I honestly don’t know when she got pregnant, the place I rescued her from wouldn’t keep her inside so she could’ve gotten pregnant while still nursing her kittens (who I have since then found homes for... she had four kittens). I can get a picture of her belly later.