My cat started doing this weird action since yesterday and I don't know what's wrong (video)

jyuch1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday my cat started doing this weird thing with his mouth, raising both of her paws to her mouth looking like trying to take or pull something out of her mouth. I checked her mouth and teeth to see if something was wrong but it looks fine. She's never been like that and I'm really worried. Yesterday it happened once then it stopped, today happened again around 4PM and stopped. Tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet but still, I wanted to ask if someone knew what was happening with her, thanks in advance.

video

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There's something painful going on in her mouth. I've seen my cats do that when they have gum inflammation or a bad tooth. You can't always see anything wrong, but your vet will be able to spot it.

Yes, she needs to go to the vet as soon as possible. She might need to be scheduled for teeth cleaning, but she'll probably need pain medication and anti-biotics to clear up any infection before work can be done on her teeth.

Pleas let us know how she gets on at the vet

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If her mouth and teeth look fine, there could be infection or an abscess under her jawline. Those are invisible, and very painful. Make sure to show the vet the video you posted, as odds are she won't exhibit this behavior in the exam room. I hope she feels better soon, she's a very pretty cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jyuch1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's something painful going on in her mouth. I've seen my cats do that when they have gum inflammation or a bad tooth. You can't always see anything wrong, but your vet will be able to spot it.

Yes, she needs to go to the vet as soon as possible. She might need to be scheduled for teeth cleaning, but she'll probably need pain medication and anti-biotics to clear up any infection before work can be done on her teeth.

I'll update as soon as I finish taking her to the vet, I did read somewhere that it could be FORL, and a friend's friend told me that his cat used to do the same and had a tumor.
I feel like I'm being too anxious about this when it could be something that is easily treated, sorry. And thank you for replying and helping.

jyuch1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If her mouth and teeth look fine, there could be infection or an abscess under her jawline. Those are invisible, and very painful. Make sure to show the vet the video you posted, as odds are she won't exhibit this behavior in the exam room. I hope she feels better soon, she's a very pretty cat.
I showed the video yesterday at another vet but the doctor wasn't there, so the guy at the front just told me that it was normal and that if it happened more times then I should take here there. I'll show it to the vet tomorrow too, luckily she still eats normally and her stools are normal too. I hope she feels better soon too, thank you.

She's really pretty cat, I love her a lot.
michii.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen my cats do that when they have gum inflammation or a bad tooth.
Casper did the same. He also made chewing motions like he was chewing on a big piece of bubble gum.

We took Casper to the vet. She took one look and said, "Yup! Bad tooth!"
She fixed him up and, a few minutes later, he was all fixed. We gave Casper some antibiotics, at home, for about a week. No problems, since! :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's really pretty cat, I love her a lot.
She's gorgeous!

One of my cats had an infection in his tooth that couldn't be seen at all when the vet checked inside of his mouth. It formed an abscess that burst out the bottom of his jaw. It was pretty scary to see and must have been very painful for him.

Tumours are pretty rare. I think it's much more likely to be an infection.

:hugs:

jyuch1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, I just got back from the vet, she didn't seem to have anything physical, the vet told us (me and my sister) that maybe it was something neurological, considering that she's eating normally, behaves fine, poops normally and doesn't have anything in her mouth, gums or teeth.

He took her temperature (39.2°C) and checked her heartbeats (they were slightly quicker), but told us that it was probably because of the stress that being outside was causing her.
The vet said that he would run some blood tests on her, we were going to take her tomorrow but my father is making some kind of fuss about the situation, because the checkup wasn't cheap either. So we're going to take her next thursday (still checking on her and her behaviour, of course).

I don't know how to feel about the situation, I can't pay her vet visits because I'm still studying so I feel guilty.
Thanks for helping me yesterday

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Her temperature is slightly high, but it's still within the normal range. Blood tests will show if she has any infection. It's a very simple test, they just look at the amount of white blood cells she has. Elevated white blood cells show that the body is fighting off an infection.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

jyuch1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright then! I'll still keep an eye on her whenever I can, today she didn't do anything weird, all normal. Thank you very much again, have a nice week! <3