My cat spreads poopy litter particles everywhere!

rukencand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male kitten, 2.5 months old. He carries little poopy litter particles everywhere he's been. I tried a rug under his litterbox and it didn't work. I made him a cardboard litter box shelter and he chews it. At first he thought it was his home and tried to sleep in it. His litter was the clumping kind and i switched it to silica because i thought the problem was the particles squeezed into his palms. The problem with silica litter is that it doesn't absurd his pee and the cardboard shelter is soaked with his wet palms. I will give him clumping litter again but i don't have any solutions for the spreading poopy little clumps. Can you give me any ideas or share your experiences? Thanks and sorry for bad English.

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, im all new to the kitten thing too and i mentioned similar to this a month ago... i tried similar thing i had the gel one an that was great for absorption and smell but the crystals were bigger and got stuck in his paws an hed flick them an bite them out so i was advised to switch but i switcged to the clay catsan which is smaller but like yours he flicks this even more and my kitchen floor gets messy but i just brush it up ive also noticed if ive been out an go home he gets excited an goes to gis litter tray an flicks out the stuff for attention so i have to go out an say come on then an he comes in tbe living room to see me an play. I am tempted to revert back to the crystals but didnt want to keep changing it an chance him pooping outside the litter tray in protest so ive left it firva while until i run out of the other bag of catsan then i may change back. In all honesty i think it's just what most ppl experience if they have an indoor cat an litter tray. Im not sure if you have heard of it but there is a thing called a hooded litter tray....looks slightly like the plastic cat carriers and they r for stopping the litter being flicked out of the tray so maybe give one them a try. Again i was thinking of doing so too but just dont want to chance him poopibg on my floor as im in work all day and have my mil goig in so wouldn't be a nice experience for her to clean up but if u can take the chance then my best advice is give one of them a go.
Hope that helped. Let me know what you try an what works xx

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put my cats litter tray in the corner of the bathroom with the litter bag next to it. I have 2 litter mats covering the front and sides. It doesn't stop the spread but limits it to one direction. Then I keep an eye on the carpet outside the bathroom and sweep it up as soon as I see it. Stops most of the spread of litter.
But you do have to get used to done litter spreading. I muse the clumping kind, so I guess if it was used or dirty it would be clumped.

sylvia shalabey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well here is what u need to know 1st of all ur cat is angry with u this is its behavior and guess what it will keep dong this until u make peace with ur cat so how u do that petting more sweet talk hold it a little more and so on simply just give care as much as u can
Then what u need to do is stop buying these things because they have chemicals and its hurting ur cat what u need to do is get news papers and put it in the litter tray for couple days u cransh them and put a lot in the tray
Cats love papers and you will see it will like it more and all u have to do is remove theses papers and put new u might have some issues with the smell for a while just hold on for 2 weeks then change that to regular sand

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rukencand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for these replies. Dear Sylvia, i didn't exactly understand your suggestion about newspaper. I'm not sure that he is angry with me although. I don't think he realizes what this situation is. I thought that maybe i can switch him to big particle clumping sand. I agree with you on the subject of silica being harmful to him.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think your kitten is spreading litter particles around because he is angry with you, Your kitten is still a baby and may be playing with the litter. Is your litter box covered and do you have a litter mat in front of the box? You could try adding a couple more mats around the litter box. You could also try to see if you can find a kitten-sized covered litter box. When my oldest cat Starbuck was a baby kitten she used to track litter everywhere until I got a covered box and surrounded it with litter mats.

sylvia shalabey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohh im soo sorry it's soo hard to answer back what I meant is before u put the sand or cats sand u buy from the store u 1st put news paper or paper so when the pie go through that sand it will absorb it and if u don't want simply place a towel under the littler box so when cats paws get wet it will rub it's paws in the towel u can get the ones special for absorption of water u know the ones u use in ur kitchen [emoji]128516[/emoji] hope my advice helps

Last edited by a moderator: